Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5ghz wireless failure??

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

5ghz wireless failure??

Not sure but I suspect the 5ghz wireless on my hh6 is failing. We've always had poor signal in the conservatory with 5ghz, even though it's only passing through 1 wall, but tonight I found that 5ghz was undetectable in the conservatory. Moving next to the router it took ages for phone to reconnect to wireless and even then signal was poor, and occ dropped. Moved all 5ghz devices to the 2.5band, and all fine. Is it possible for just the 5ghz band to fail. Nothing obvious in router logs except the reconnect and disconnected logs. Signal very good all over the house on 2.5.
5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: 5ghz wireless failure??

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from My Router to Tech Help as it's not referring to a Plusnet router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@penfold wrote:
... We've always had poor signal in the conservatory with 5ghz, even though it's only passing through 1 wall, but tonight I found that 5ghz was undetectable in the conservatory. ...

@penfold 

Maybe a silly question, but have you installed a WiFi Analyser on a phone so that you can move around your house and find the signal strength at various locations?  Whilst not the be-all end-all of instrumentation it may solve the mystery of your disappearing 5Ghz signal.

The one I use on my Android phone is a free opensource download called, wait for it, WiFi Analyzer.  

Happy hunting and good luck with it!  Smiley

penfold
Aspiring Pro

That's on my phone, but stupidly never thought to use it..... Will switch 5ghz back on and see.    Oddly enough this happened after the smart hubs usual 14 day reboot..... Coincidental.......

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Very variable signal on 5ghz, even in the same room its struggling at around -70. Upstairs signal wildly varying and sometimes undetectable even in the room directly over router. I suspect the 5ghz radio is failing, or is this a thing that can happen. 

2.5ghz working fine.....

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@penfold wrote: Is it possible for just the 5ghz band to fail.

Like anything electronic it can fail. Over the years I've had a router and a WiFi dongle fall over. Always a good idea to have a cheap backup available, which is why I still have the router that PN supplied in its box. If my paid for router / modem goes wrong, I've got a known good to check to find out what is wrong. Before condemning anything always try it with some other signal. Got any neighbours that use 5Ghz? Does it pick theirs up...........

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?