Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 bit linux

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

32 bit linux

Hi

I run Lubuntu on an old 32bit netbook with an atom processor and 2GB of RAM. It's (obviously) not my main computer but it does get used from time to time and I've come to like Lubuntu. It seems Lubuntu isnt going to carry on supporting 32 bit and I can't do an upgrade from 18.04 to 18:10 the last version supporting 32 bit as that is not supported

I'm thinking that its the end of the road for the netbook but that seems a shame. Do you think

1. 32bit will rapidly die out now so its goodnight for the netbook
    or
  2. is there a different distibution i could try that will support and update 32bit
    or
  3. Should i stick with 18.04 ( not sure if thats risky or not)
    or
  4. Should I do a fresh install of 18.10 

12 REPLIES 12
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: 32 bit linux

You can still download Linux Mint in 32 bit flavours.
32bit Atom chips were phased out in 2010/11 standard desktop chips were probably 2006 - so for PC OS's then I guess 32Bit will become very niche over the next few years.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You can find many 32 bit distros listed at https://distrowatch.com I'd suggest you give AntiX a try. I would give proper links but Plusnet's forum software is broken.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

18.04 LTS should be supported for a few years or more. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases for the dates support ends.
That's RPM to you!!
VileReynard
Hero

Ubuntu + RPM? Smiley

the_groundsman
Rising Star

Thanks

I tried Mint previously but it was quite sluggish - Lubuntu was a perfectly good experience and got the right balance between a user freindly and performance, Some of the less popular flavours are more an intellectual challenge than a good user experience for me and the mainstream ones need more power  than the old atom can muster.

I'll stick with it for a while in that case.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@the_groundsman Can I add my 10p's worth here and suggest you might want to look in to Arch Linux.

https://archlinux32.org/download/

I have a 6 node cluster of Pi's running this and they don't break a sweat, but mine are headless so I can't comment on them with a GUI.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Anonymous wrote:

@the_groundsman Can I add my 10p's worth here and suggest you might want to look in to Arch Linux.

https://archlinux32.org/download/

Did you miss the bit where the OP said

@the_groundsman wrote:
Some of the less popular flavours are more an intellectual challenge than a good user experience for me and the mainstream ones need more power  than the old atom can muster.

I'll stick with it for a while in that case.

Arch is the epitome of what he's wanting to avoid IMO 

I would suggest Manjaro for anyone wanting to try Arch, it's Arch for normal human beings...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveyH I find Arch really easy to use and maintain and the documentation is superb for a bleeding edge distro, but of course I’m no normal human Grin

VileReynard
Hero

Try a couple of live distros (no install) to check compatibility and features...

e.g. Debian supports a wide range of hardware but eventually it is sadly true that some individual packages will no longer be produced in 32 bit versions - but that time is still quite a few years away..

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@the_groundsman wrote:

Hi

I run Lubuntu on an old 32bit netbook with an atom processor and 2GB of RAM. It's (obviously) not my main computer but it does get used from time to time

Like you I have an old netbook - WinXP Home, 1.6GHz proccy and 1GB ram. I'm using it to write this to you right now lol. The proccy like yours is an intel atom but i'm still running XP on it with half of your ram.

Sure XP is now limited... but it still works!

So I'm curious why you have wiped what must have been an XP machine when new and installed linux on it and now think with twice the ram you're in a pickle?

Yes the 32bit / unix eoch is a slight concern but i suspect by the time we get to the 2030s all the 32bit hardware will be suffering from dry solder joints anyway - that or blown chinese capacitors. My netbook had a drip spilt over it in 2013 by a nurse when i was in hospital. The power button is sticky, the function keys are partially dead (eg to turn off my track pad when using a mouse is no longer possible) but its still hanging on in there but i know it won't last another decade (or at least if it does it'll be the most loyal netbook ever lol).

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
the_groundsman
Rising Star

I found that the original RAM was not good enough for Itunes, which back then was my music jukebox of choice. Since then times have changed and it's Spotify all the way for me now. The netbook came with Win 7 Starter edition installed not XP. It was quite painful to use but OK. I made the mistake of upgrading to Windows 7 full version if I remember rightly but that slowed everything to a halt. Windows 10 was then inevitable and I secretly hoped it would be a better user experience.

By then the netbook was mainly gathering dust. I then had a specific purpose for it ( exercising to  YouTube aerobics videos in my garage as it happens 🐵 and that was perfectly fine with Lubutu.

VileReynard
Hero

Just thinking of clearing some stuff out - but

I came across a Toshiba laptop from 2006 with a claimed 512MB of memory.

It had a 32 bit CPU.

Loaded AntiX on it and it was incredibly fast with normal software.

It even ran a rather sluggish Firefox (32 bit version).