£30 Tablet

Now it's getting really silly
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25402621
8 REPLIES 8
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: £30 Tablet

I don't know about silly but if you want a small touch screen device to use as a remote (home automation etc) or basic internet access then I think they're filling the gap in the market brilliantly. Granted it's not capable of some of the stuff more complex tablets can do but if you just want a wall mounted touch panel that can do a few basic tasks for the modern automated home then I think they're perfect for the job.
When I can, I shall be investing in a few of these as they look perfect for some things I've had in the pipeline.
This is the tablet equivalent of the raspberry Pi. Perfect for projecteers.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
dragon2611
Grafter

Those android HDMI dongles are pretty neat as well, used one recently in place of a PC connected to a TV
Depending on the Spec they start at about £30 but you will probably also need a keyboard/trackpad
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If you search hard enough you should be able to find a dual core tablet for under 50USD from China (may be subject to import duties etc. though.
Prices of basic tech are still falling while 'high end' stuff remains high.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: 7up
I don't know about silly
I'm not suggesting this tablet hasn't got uses - just wondering how cheap things can ultimately get.
When I bought my first electronic calculator, in the 70s, it cost a small fortune. I eventually got one free with a can of engine oil.
w23
Pro

A while ago you could buy a digital watch for less then the price of a replacement watch battery, I haven't see that recently though so maybe things find a natural, slightly more sensible, level eventually (or maybe I just haven't been looking hard enough as I don't usually wear a watch now).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I just bought a new watch, touch screen led (you press it to display the time), £1.28 delivered  Crazy
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: nadger
Quote from: 7up
I don't know about silly
I'm not suggesting this tablet hasn't got uses - just wondering how cheap things can ultimately get.

Does it matter? It'll all level itself out eventually anyway. The £30 jobbie hasn't got brilliant reviews against the more expensive ones so they're going to have a limited uptake anyway. I suspect in this country they'll be more popular amongst the inventors and projecteers of the nation as they're cheaper than the alternatives and unlike the Pi, you don't need a seperate mouse, monitor, keyboard etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
w23
Pro

Quote from: Hairy
I just bought a new watch, touch screen led (you press it to display the time), £1.28 delivered  Crazy

Nice one!
Call me 'w23'