Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd Hard Drive advice please

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

2nd Hard Drive advice please

Hi, i have a HP A1629 Pavillion Computer and would like to fit second internal hard drive, I have a second External drive which is USB and very slow compared to an internal drive, I would be getting rid of the USB one and also removing the floppy drive I have that was fitted when I first got the computer about a year ago.
I have a Radeon X1550 Series PCie Graphics card in and apart from the things I've mentioned it is bog standard with a 300w psu.
Bearing in mind I will be removing the floppy and the USB external  Drive would I have to fit a more powerful power unit, the hard drive that is in my computer is a Samsung SATA 200gb drive and would like to fit roughly same for back up and so on, I cant find anywhere what the power draw would be for a drive like that, I've been used to in the past having two drives and thought the USB external drive would suffice but as I say its slow.
I was told to think about upgrading the Power unit but thought I'd ask just to make sure, the one I have in is very quite and would hate to end up with a noisy one and there is the cost aspect as well.
hope someone can advise and would be much appreciated
jono

25 REPLIES 25
petermaughan
Grafter

Re: 2nd Hard Drive advice please

Hello jono,
I don't think I would worry too much.  I have run two or three drives on a 300 watt power supply in the past.  And, as you say, you will be removing the external drive, so that will save on the power drain.
Best wishes,
Peter
samuria
Grafter

There should be no problem and removing the floppy will make no difference its so rarely used. The answer is simple suck it and see if its ok then you have saved money if the PSU gives up the ghost than you can get a new one.

The other answer is not to fit another 200gig but buy a 500gig so then you only need the one drive  and you can partition it into 2 drives so baring a total disk failure you will have a backup. As disk often come with a 3 year guarantee its rare for them to go.
A new big drive  would by quicker than the old drive as well and a 500gig is only about £70 if its sata a 200 gig isnt that much cheaper. 
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Agree with both Peter and Samuria (this must be a first!!) No need to replace the power unit (who suggested it? not a salesman by chance?) If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it...And personally I'd go down the bigger single drive route. And oh yeah, leave the floppy where it is, if it's not in the way, you just never know when it might be useful, it's very unlikely to effect your PC's performance, you shouldn't need to remove it to fit a second HDD anyway, most HDD mounting boxes usually have room for a second drive (if thats what you choose to do)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi Thanks, I posted on the HP web site at first with it being a HP computer and then thought I would post on here and get a second opinion, I always have had a second drive in my old computers and never fitted a PSU but then they were 400watt units, and then  run My docs and other important stuff on the second one then if the Op system decides to chuck a wobbly it does not affect my important files.
There is no spare room for the second drive but I'm going to remove the floppy and install there.
thanks for all the help
regards
jono
petlew
Pro

As a matter of interest, you don't need to fit an HDD to anything inside the case. Back in the days when drives were relatively "small" I often had up to 4 drives (using a RAID board) at least one just lay on the "floor" of the case, another was mounted on it's edge after drilling 2 holes through the case "floor" for the mounting screws (taking considerable care about possible swarf from the drillings getting into the PC's electronics)  The biggest problem is sometimes getting the flat connecting cables to twist through some contortions, but by carefully splitting the "ribbon" into individual leads around the bends they can be made to twist quite easily. After all having loose drives inside a static box is hardly problem.
PS. I never had a power supply problem using up to 4xHDD, CD player, CDRW (separate drives ((no DVD in those days)) floppy, and usually all of the 6 available PCI slots filled plus AGP graphics, they're not all in use at the same time. I admit they could get pretty warm, but I was careful about keeping the fan clear of dust etc. And fitted an extra fan (far cheaper than a new power unit)

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Just as a thought. Not all 300w power supplies are the same.
If it's a decent quality unit...fine. But if it's not Undecided
As Samuria said suck it and see.
I've also had drives lying on the bottom of pc's Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, Yes I think its a decent one, its a HP PSU so I expect it to be, its very quite and its the quietest one I've had.
thanks for all the help
jono
petlew
Pro

As someone with currently 2 HP computers, I can't in all conscience 100% subscribe to HP = quality But they're probably no worse than most mass producers, They do have a reputation (of sorts) to look after.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Strat
I've also had drives lying on the bottom of pc's Smiley

Reminds me of the time with my first PC.
I stuck a second drive to the bottom of the case with Velcro once. Might sound silly, but once it was stuck it wasn't going nowhere Cheesy
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

...and it wasn't going anywhere either Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Not applicable

Less vibration if you just leave them hanging on the end of a wire perhaps?
petlew
Pro

Being careful not to go too far off-topic. I recall my first ever "proper grown-up" PC (after Sinclairs and Commodore's etc.) it was based on a Pentium 75 processor, mounted on a no-name motherboard, the whole being mounted on a small sheet of chipboard not in a case at all. Think it had a 125Mb HDD and 250Mb RAM Win3.1 rapidly replaced with the ground breaking Win 95. All very Heath Robinson, but it worked Ok (by the standards of the day) sometimes for two consecutive hours in a row!!
Ah those were the day's...and other meaningless nostalgia spouted by silver surfers.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Ive still got a working UK 101, mind you I cant remember how to use it let alone update it
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Alex
Reminds me of the time with my first PC.
I stuck a second drive to the bottom of the case with Velcro once. Might sound silly, but once it was stuck it wasn't going nowhere Cheesy

On my first PC I stuck a second drive to the first drive (upside down) with velcro - so I had back-to-back drives!  Grin
That was a 486 SX (4 MB of memory) - that's not a misprint!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."