cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2704N router alternative

subsync
Dabbler

2704N router alternative

I have to smash up and cremate the defective 2704N router that plusnet supplied, but before I do, I need to find a router that behaves like a router should. My local parts place has a TP-Link Archer C20i AC750 Wireless Dual Band Router: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C20i.html#specifications for £30, will this work as a replacement?.
As far as I understand, I need a router with a WAN socket?
5 REPLIES 5
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: 2704N router alternative

Hi subsync,
Welcome to the forum.
Apart from the 2704n being a very basic device, I assume there was nothing wrong with it other than not meeting your particular needs. However, rather than smash up and cremating it, I would suggest you keep it as a spare for testing. Always good to have something else to just test when things misbehave.
If you are on Fibre, then the TP-Link your mention ought to be a suitable replacement if it meets your needs. As the WAN can be set to PPPoE it should work OK. There are many Routers out there that can do the job, you pays your money and takes your choice. I have no personal knowledge of that particular device.
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Surely the Plusnet supplied 2704N router would still be covered by the warranty?
If it really is defective then im sure if you asked nicely they would replace it.
Anotherone
Champion

He didn't say it was defective, but if that were the case then of course Plusnet should/would replace it.
subsync
Dabbler

Thanks for replying. I've already bought the TP link router and had it up and running, with four port forwards, within half an hour of plugging it in. It does everything you would reasonably expect a router to do, and more besides.
The 2704N was sold to us as a router, but has expected router functions missing or not working properly, so is defective http://www.thefreedictionary.com/defective A replacement will be the same.
I found you cannot have the same http port on all devices or you will only get one device at a time, regardless of the external entry port number you picked. You cannot use the default port 80 as it's already being used by the preset rules. So standard port forward routing is broken.
I can understand why plusnet have made it basic, I expect it's from years of dealing with customers problems. If all you do is surf, then it's fit for purpose, but anything more and it isn't. There needs to be info passed onto the customer at ordering time that the 2704N isn't suitable for anything other than surfing. If I had been informed, I wouldn't have bought it.
I haven't put it out of it's misery yet Wink
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: subsync
You cannot use the default port 80 as it's already being used by the preset rules. So standard port forward routing is broken.

It seems you cannot have more than one rule for the port, so you have to edit the existing rule.