cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2704N - 'device unknown' on Home page even though it has a host name

noworries

2704N - 'device unknown' on Home page even though it has a host name

I've just upgraded to fibre and unfortunately I can't get to my devices using their device name. That's not strictly true sometimes I can and sometimes I can't.
Looking at the home page for the 2704 router it lists the connected devices. Occasionally the device is shown but most of the time it isn't.  I'm using DHCP provided by the 2704. This setup worked fine using the Thomson ADSL router but not on the 2704.
Anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve this? I'm hoping there's something in the internals of the 2704. I know i could use static ip addresses or a DHCP on my LAN. I've looked through the posts but it's beyond my skill set to flash a new config that Matty123123 provided.
I have found expert_user.html but some of the other functions e.g. dumpcfgdynamic.cmd aren't available 'You're not allowed to access this content'.
I'm on firmware version 7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet
7 REPLIES 7
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: 2704N - 'device unknown' on Home page even though it has a host name

There is a bucket load of issues of this sort, you find threads on this Hardware board as well as a few littered around the ADSL & Fibre boards.
Here's some for starters -
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,141980.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,139281.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138463.0.html
HTH.
Oh, welcome to the forum, btw.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

We plan to get this fixed on a future firmware release.
There's no date set for this as our relationship with them requires us to submit any such changes in bundles if you will before we can arrange for a maintenance release.
I keep in regular touch with our products guys about such things so I'll make sure I keep you posted.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
noworries

Many thanks Anotherone and Adam,
I look forward to the firmware update, in the meanwhile ...
Anotherone
Champion

I wouldn't hold your breath, at the moment there isn't a "the firmware update".
noworries

I'm tempted to load Matty123123 firmware but not confident that i'd be able to restore if it all goes wrong. I would edit the xml config but the backup created is encrypted so that's that idea out the window.
noworries

BTW Adam - it would be useful to see the log file, perhaps could could nominate re-enabling it for the next firmware update?
Anotherone
Champion

There are several things that should be "re-enabled" but whether that is likely to happen is another matter. Matty123123 has give a way of restoring the old firmware (v1 IIRC), but it looses the original password and serial number. As with any "firmware" changes there are some (usually small) risks.
As you are on the v2 firmware instead of  v1, you now can't download the config in text form to edit either Shocked
Are you on ADSL or Fibre? Do you have a spare (unlocked) (modem/)router?
Edit: added about serial number loss.
Also, if you are interested in a read http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,142874.0.html
Chap there has just made several firmware changes and now back to the base firmware. I guess he may go to Matty123123's in the near future.