Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2700 HGV firmware update - beware !!!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

2700 HGV firmware update - beware !!!

Not really sure where best to post this but lets start with it here.
Any 2700HGV users out there , beware there is new BT firmware about. Its currently being pushed to BT customers ( Business and Retail apparently ) but no one is sure whether it will go to non BT customers sooner or later. Have a read about it here http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm.

Looking on the BT business broadband forum http://btb.lithium.com/btb/board?board.id=Kit there seem to be some issues with it. Also bad news seems to be that once its updated there seems no way back to earlier firmwares...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

12 REPLIES 12
James
Grafter

Re: 2700 HGV firmware update - beware !!!

I should imagine that it will only be forced upon you if your ISP is using TR-069 to deliver the firmware updates.
We'll be capable of doing this with our own Thomson kit once our TR-069 platform is ready.
Assos
Grafter

Moderators Note:
I've moved this post from community support, to a more suitable home in wireless broadband Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

James,
Thanks but that's exactly the point , most of the 2700's people use are BT badged ones and BT do use TR-069  to talk to these routers. Even though they are being used on PlusNet the routers still contact the BT provisioning servers daily.
It's uncertain as to whether BT will check whether the router is on a BT connection before they update them so since I know there are PlusNet users of 2700's I was giving people a heads up , just in case.
Assos, I'm not sure that Wireless broadband is a more suitable home, its got nothing to do with Wireless ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MickKi
Grafter

This thread should really be in Hardware.
Either way, I hope that it will not be uploaded automatically for those of us who use the 2700 in bridged mode.  I also have the wireless disabled.  Mine still shows firmware 5.29.117.6 and DSL modem 7.2.6.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Mick,
I think you're right Hardware would probably be a better home.
Like you I have a 2700 running 5.29.117.6 ( although not in Bridged mode ) which is still in contact with the BT configuration servers. For the time being, until we know more about this firmware, I have replaced this with my spare 2700 running 5.29.107.12 which still uses the old BT configuration servers ( now decommissioned ) and so hopefully it will not get upgraded.

MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
I should imagine that it will only be forced upon you if your ISP is using TR-069 to deliver the firmware updates.
We'll be capable of doing this with our own Thomson kit once our TR-069 platform is ready.

James, just to be clear, do you mean that TR-069 deployment is on a per ISP basis, or will our routers dial out to the BT TR-069 servers from within the PN network regardless?
@ Ian:
How do you know that your router is in contact with the BT provisioning servers?  I think that I have not DNS-poisoned mine yet.  Should I?
James
Grafter

Mick - Are you referring to our implementation of TR-069 or generalising?
MickKi
Grafter

Both really - I am trying to understand the whole concept of TR-056 (rather ignorant about it) and how this will be applied by PN.  I am a tad suspicious of anyone frigging about with my equipment whether this is OEM provisioning servers or what not.  Of course others may consider it a blessing in disguise that their kit will remain always up-to-date (just like their default installation of MSWindows?)  Wink
James
Grafter

You'll probably have seen from our end of day reports the number of times that "Router Configuration" crops up in the CSC Top 5.
The initial purpose of our TR-069 platform will be to remotely configure new connections, to avoid having the customer go through the configuration themselves.  That'll shave off hundreds of calls into the CSC each day as well as meaning that the customer won't need to call in, which could potentially be a frustrating experience.
Later phases could include better remote diagnostics and so on.  I don't believe we've really touched on remotely updating firmware as it could potentially be problematic.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@MickKi,
How do you know that your router is in contact with the BT provisioning servers?  I think that I have not DNS-poisoned mine yet.  Should I?

You can see the daily connection conversation if you look in the 'Detailed Log' ( accessed from the menu on http://home/mdc ).
DNS poisioning doesnt stop it !!! Mine was poisioned from day one but it still updated twice, from 5.29.107.12 to ..107.19 and then to 5.29.117.6.
One running ...107.12 now will not update because it is still trying to talk to the old BT servers which were decommissioned a while ago. Thats why I reverted to my backup which is still running this firmware , until we know more about the version 6... firmware.

MickKi
Grafter

Ian, I just checked.  My logs do not show any attempts to contact the BT servers over the last 45 days.
I also checked the DNS settings and I have not poisoned it.  It seems to me that in Bridged mode it should be safe.  Time will show.
@James:
Yes, all these things make sense and should be value adding both for PN and for the customers.  There's nothing wrong with the automatic update either as long as there is an option for the customer to override it.  This latest 2700HGV update being the case in point.
pd
Grafter

I bought a BT Business Hub which arrived yesterday and is fully working on PN.  Within 20 mins of setting it up yesterday 'Access Controls' was installed on it.  I also spotted this today in the Firewall Monitor  [see img]  so it must be in contact with the BT servers. I'll just have to wait and see if it gets updated with the latest firmware, it's currently on 5.29.117.6