cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£25 Activation charge

reserved
Grafter

£25 Activation charge

Trying to get a member of my family to switch to PN from Tiscali(TT) and they noticed this:
Free broadband activation option
Choose a 12 month contract and add our home phone service to get free broadband activation worth £25

Does that still apply if you use a MAC to switch?
16 REPLIES 16
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: £25 Activation charge

Hi reserved,
Yes, it still applies if a customer migrates in though as stated it can be deferred if the customer takes home phone as well.
itsme
Grafter

Matt
Does the £25 connection charge only apply if coming from Tiscali LLU connection and not a Tiscali BTw connection?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I believe it applies on both.
itsme
Grafter

So is this worded wrong?
6. Will my current provider charge me if I switch?
It won't cost you anything to switch your broadband, however they might hold you to any contract you've taken out with them. (i.e. you may need to pay any outstanding charges). You should check with your current provider before switching to us.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

In what way are we their current provider before they switch?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
So is this worded wrong?
6. Will my current provider charge me if I switch?
It won't cost you anything to switch your broadband, however they might hold you to any contract you've taken out with them. (i.e. you may need to pay any outstanding charges). You should check with your current provider before switching to us.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

no you have to ask O2, Orange, Post office and ug Talk Talk etc, they would be your current providor, you new one will be PN
itsme
Grafter

An activation charge should only apply the first time a broadband connection is placed on a line. When you switch providers another charge is applied which is a lot less. In the past most providers use to bear this cost hence the reason Plusnet in the FAQ stated 'It won't cost you anything to switch your broadband' Now if Matt is saying that you still get charged £25 for switching from Tiscali BTw if you do not take the phone package as well then I can't see any one wanting to switch.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I see what you're saying, but the question is related to charges from the current provider rather than ourselves. I will raise this internally though and get back to you - probably be tomorrow though, I hope that's alright.
reserved
Grafter

Now if Matt is saying that you still get charged £25 for switching from Tiscali BTw if you do not take the phone package as well then I can't see any one wanting to switch.

I agree, I don't think I would be able to justify that to my daughter  Sad
It would be both broadband & phone they would be switching so I assume that the £25 is deferred for a year then written off
Mand
Grafter

An activation charge should only apply the first time a broadband connection is placed on a line. When you switch providers another charge is applied which is a lot less. In the past most providers use to bear this cost hence the reason Plusnet in the FAQ stated 'It won't cost you anything to switch your broadband'

We used to absorb migration in costs and charge the £40 activation fee where applicable. However, we wanted to have a flat fee to make things simpler, so we went for the middle ground between the two possible fees.
The fee applies to all new signups, regardless of where the customer is coming from.
It's worth mentioning that we do as many activations as we do migrations these days, and that you can defer this fee if you take phone with us as well.
itsme
Grafter

If I was looking for a new ISP PN would not get my custom if I have to pay £25 migration fee. If it's PN way to gain more phone customers then can I suggest that PN offer a service as good or better than BT.
Mand
Grafter

The broadband costs over a 12 month period should be the same or cheaper with us, even taking into account the activation fee.
Slightly off topic for this thread but if you have specific feedback where we don't measure up to BT on the phone front please feel free to start a new thread or drop me a PM.
reserved
Grafter

Mand,
Could you confirm that if someone migrates to PN taking broadband & phone then they have the option of:
1)  taking 12 month contract and deferring £25 charge which only becomes payable if they leave within 12 months
2)  paying £25 charge and having 1 month contract
complicated isn't it  Undecided