cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Partitions, an Invalid Partition Table and a Missing or Corrupt ntoskrnl.exe..

zoomclub
Grafter

2 Partitions, an Invalid Partition Table and a Missing or Corrupt ntoskrnl.exe..

Ok - hopefully that got someone's interest! Roll_eyes
Am guessing that the answer to this one is probably "NO!", but thought I'd ask anyways  -
When trying to boot from a 46GB IDE drive with 2 FAT32 partitions I originally got the "Invalid Partition Table" error.
(1st partition - 6GB - Win98 SE. 2nd Partition - 37GB - Win2000 SP4 - Both marked as "Status" = Active, "Type" = Primary DOS, "File System" = FAT32)
From what I'd read, it was because both partitions are marked as "Active/Primary" partitions, - & there should only be 1 Active partition. Am guessing this has happened because both partitions were ghosted (individually!) - using Norton Ghost (Ye Olde Version 5).
Anyway, used Partition Logic (free utility) to correct this so now only 1 partition - the Win2K - is marked as Active.
Now when trying to boot from the 1 active Win2K partition I get "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt"
Really wondering if it's going to be possible to get this disk to boot from either O/S on it correctly - having ghosted both partitions. Just thinking (in layman's terms) that if neither has been installed normally there won't be the usual Windoze files that hold info' re disk/partition size, hardware present setup etc..etc.. - Like the boot.ini and any others that would normally be created/modified during a typical installation
Any ideas / thoughts welcome!

Re: 2 Partitions, an Invalid Partition Table and a Missing or Corrupt ntoskrnl.exe..

Is this link of any help to you?
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm
There are a couple of things I'd have suggested there, but there seems little point in me repeating them when they have put them reasonably eloquently!
samuria
Grafter

Re: 2 Partitions, an Invalid Partition Table and a Missing or Corrupt ntoskrnl.exe..

if they have both come of a bootable drive then you should have ghosted the drive not partitons.
If its from 2 drives then the first problem as you say is both are set to active which wont work.
second the boot.ini will be pointing to the wrong partition as it will be set to multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\ or simliar when it should point to partition 2.
You may not be able to boot the second partition if it goes past 2 gig on the forst partition as the boot record cant contain a code that big.
Solution change the drive so only 98 is active and it should boot if not boot from a 98 floppy and type sys c: to reset the boot record.
then find a free boot manager try
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/GAG-d.shtml ; or
http://www.download.com/Partition-Boot-Manager/3000-2094_4-10068125.html
that should let you boot from the second partition after you change the boot.ini to point to the second partition or you could try coping the boot files to partition one ie ntdetect.com ntdr
You may need to shrink the first partition to below 2 gig to get it to work.
The best tool is system commander as it has a wizard which will do it all for you.
Setting a drive as inactive can be a problem at times and its a matter of finding a util which will do it try fdisk first