cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1and1.co.uk

seanbranagh
Grafter

1and1.co.uk

Do not under any circumstances ever use this company!!
That is unless you want to loose all of your web and email services for at least 4 days due to their complete incompetance!
I have been waiting for them to update A-records since Friday evening (something that usually happens almost instantly with any other company).
Because of this my private nameservers with Eukhost do not work and myself and others have been without web and email service for 4 days!
I have been in continous email and phone contact with them and their incompetant staff have done nothing but try to brush me off with rubbish excuses. I have been contacted several times by the owner of the local B&B whos website I host asking me for answers. What am I supposed to tell him?!
1and1.co.uk should be shut down as they are obviously incapable of providing the service their custommers are paying for. Right now I want to go to their offices and punch someone! I have already demanded the transfer authorization codes from them but even that I am STILL waiting for.
9 REPLIES 9
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: 1and1.co.uk

Can't say I have had any issues with the dozen or so domains I registered with them. DNS changes (which I make myself via the control panel) usually are active 24 hours or less later.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I am surprised to hear that. I also made the changes through the control panel. I have read in other forums of people having similar problems to me. What I do not understand is the fact that I did not even change nameservers. I only changed A-records which does not need propagation time. When I do this in cPanel/WHM the effect is almost instant not 4 days!
What really angered me was not the fault itself but the fact that their staff would not listen to anything I was saying when I was telling them that there was obviously a fault and the records were not updating. Instead, for 3 days they just tried to keep brushing me off with a load of absolute rubbish both over the phone and through email. This may work with some people but I know enough about DNS for it not to work with me. They are definitely done with my business.
itsme
Grafter

What have 1 and 1 said about the nameservers IP address? From my understanding 1and1 have to pass the namerserver information on to Nominet (nsx.nic.uk).
Nominet example how the namerservers are changed, this is done by automated email
Edit: Ignore the Nominet references as they are only responsible fo UK domains but the principle is the same for dot com.
itsme
Grafter

I have private nameservers with Eukhost (ns1.branaghcomputers.com and ns2.branaghcomputers.com) The domains including branaghcomputers.com are registered with 1and1 and all using the above nameservers. The only change I needed to make was to the IPs of these nameservers which I did in my 1and1 control panel on Friday night.

The quote above is from another thread. If Eukhost is hosting the DNS what IP did you change in 1and1 control panel? Perhaps if you leave branaghcomputers.com using Eukhost namerservers you can then add A records for ns1.branaghcomputers.com and ns2.branaghcomputers.com in the DNS hosted by Eukhost. Then for all you customer domains you can then use the your private namerserver. This method will then save the need to supplied glued records to Nominet.
Edit: Ignore the Nominet references as they are only responsible fo UK domains but the principle is the same for dot com.
gswindale
Grafter

everything seems to be pointing correctly now - a whois search points to ns1.branaghcomputers.com and ns2.branaghcomputers.com and these both resolve to IP addresses hosted by EUKHost.
paulby
Grafter

I have to concur with Peter Vaughan.  I've never had any issues with the three domains that I manage with 1&1.  I've also made DNS changes via the control panel without a hitch.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

In agreement with Peter Vaughan and Paul03, I have 2 domains and never had any issues with them.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
lingbob
Grafter

I've been with them for 12 months and I've never had a single problem with them. I've tinkered with domain settings in the control panel numerous times and the changes have always taken effect very quickly. I also have an email account with them and I've never had any problems with that either. Excellent company IMHO.
Regards .....
itsme
Grafter

Nameservers are handled differently then ordinary DNS settings as these have to be passed on to the maintainer of the register for dot com tld. Because branaghcomputers.com nameservers are ns1.branaghcomputers.com glued IP addresses have to be passed on to the register.

@sean
May want to check these warnings regarding your nameserves. Believe these can be corrected by adding you private nameservers in the DNS hosted be eukhost