cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1TB Hardrive

Mav
Fixes: 515

1TB Hardrive

I want to purchase a larger drive and am thinking of the 1TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B.
Does anyone have any experience of this drive - reliability, etc.
What about TB drives in general (largest drive I have to date is a mere 400GB)? A lot of data to lose in one go but so much cheaper than getting two 500GB drives.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES 5
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: 1TB Hardrive

Well I just bought one from ebuyer, getting good reviews so far.
Similarly my only experience of large drives stops with 500Gb units, I had one fail after 4 months (a Seagate) but the replacement is fine as is the other drive (can't remember what it is)
I want this one to replace 3 x 300Gb drives I am using (hopefully less power).
Mav

Currently I have 9 drives totalling just over 2TB. Use of a 1TB drive means I can pass a couple of drives to SWMBO and I get less USB cables hanging from the front Wink
THanks for your imput.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Sounds like my setup, though all bar one of mine are internal.
2x 500Gb Sata } All (Mounted on the MB connector)
4x 300Gb IDE } Linked in a LVM under Ubuntu (Mounted via a 4 port IDE pci card)
1x 80Gb IDE My / drive on the MB controller
+ 1x 300Gb external (USB used for backup)
The new drive will replace 2 possibly 3 of the 300Gb drives, I have just freed one up to allow me to install it when it arrives (My PSU struggles with all these drives  :'()
Mav

I only have 5 internally.
I need to re-arrange them soon as I have a 160GB for the boot drive but, as I don't use that drive for anything except system and installed programs, only around 20GB is actually used. I have a spare 80GB which I'll swap around. I'll probably re-install XP at the same time.
I used to have an IDE card for the PATA drives but found it increased bootup time and I decided to move all but one to external. When I have the 1TB I'll probably move one PATA nack inside.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well from a cold boot, I can be at a desktop in about 2 minutes, about 1.5 min from a warm boot, the new Ubuntu boots faster now about 30 seconds to a desktop, so I don't mind too much the init time taken by the "raid" controller. And since this machine is pretty much on 24/7 it doesn't get rebooted very often.
I call it "nas" and it holds my avi's (1.4Tb) and Music (300Gb), love the LVM setup where you can just add a drive and it extends the available space, no mucking about with drive letters or even sub folders, I have 2 main folders called Video and Music and extend them as needed. I used to use naslite, but it was limited to what a drives capacity was, so moved to Ubuntu and got better network performance and I even use this machine most of the time, the only problems it has is a cr*p on-board video. It has a AGP video slot but even with a card slotted in the on-board didn't want to stop working and Ubuntu wouldn't recognise I had a "decent" card installed, even though it was displaying on it.
But with an athlon x2 processor and 3Gb ram it isn't a bad machine. Cheesy