Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1GB broadband

warbleeder
Grafter

1GB broadband

found this on net
BT is claiming to have made a "big breakthrough" with fibre broadband, which could see homes and businesses see speeds rise to 1Gbps (gigabit per second).
found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29360758
anyone from plusnet able to comfirm? i doubt it will be 2015/2016 knowing bts back ground for charging us and been behind everyone els but yea
16 REPLIES 16
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: 1GB broadband

Unable to confirm at the moment. I can't imagine any ISP being able to confirm really.
Even if this is all legitimate, it would take a very long time before it starts being actively offered by ISP's.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
AndyH
Grafter

There's no need to roll out 1Gb/s broadband to consumers.
warbleeder
Grafter

at the moment there is not no... but if they have the techno to do it then why not instead of wasting money on 100mb 300mb etc
in all fairness 1GB would be awsome and i doubt anyone would be complaining however like i said before i doubt very much it would start been rolled out december 2015 as bbc state
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The article doesn't state that.  It says that equipment may be available commercially by December 2015.  It doesn't say will and it doesn't say roll out Smiley
warbleeder
Grafter

i didnt re-read this morning so i must have slightly miss read it yesterday but still i doubt 2015/16 is gonna be any good
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What puzzles me is what residential consumers are doing with all this data they downloading with the current FTTC speeds let alone what they would do with faster speeds. Just how many terrabytes of storage do people have?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
warbleeder
Grafter

its not just download in all fairness ... people want faster and faster connections for online gaming....
i used to online game and nothing was more annoying then lag and disconnections
also people running private gaming servers (or any server in general) want the best speeds they can get for traffic
AndyH
Grafter

Faster connections don't necessarily mean lower latency.
Openreach could easily introduce 1Gb for FTTP users - but there's just no need or demand.
Edit: Put another way, how much would you expect to pay for a 1Gb service each month?
warbleeder
Grafter

well as it stands atmo with FTTC id be guessing 1GB would be around £39.99 maybe even £49.99 maybe more?Huh
also when it comes to pricing of broadband packages there's not only the speed to take into account there's a ton of things
if this did roll out id be guessing it would be unlimited usage and PN will prolly need to consider average consumer usage  each month
(as such last month i had around 1TB usage..... this is on a 30mb connection so im  assuming if people had 1GB speeds it would possibly be alot higher than this
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think your expectation is completely unrealistic, by several orders of magnitude!
AndyH
Grafter

Well BT Retail charge £50 for 300/20 at the moment.
The backhaul charge for bandwidth is not cheap - £47 per 1Mbps is what PN pay. If you've done 1TB in the last month, then they will be making a loss on your account.
warbleeder
Grafter

Quote from: pwatson
I think your expectation is completely unrealistic, by several orders of magnitude!
what you mean i basically said the (lowest) i can see it been is £39.99-£49.99 how that been unrealistic?
and i didnt know that 300/20 was £50 as i cant get it anywhere near me so i didnt bother looking in to it... but this been the case then it will be atleast £100
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
Well BT Retail charge £50 for 300/20 at the moment.
The backhaul charge for bandwidth is not cheap - £47 per 1Mbps is what PN pay. If you've done 1TB in the last month, then they will be making a loss on your account.

Oh dear, I  do several TB's a month, mind you if they want shot of me they are welcome to break my contract and send me a migration code!
Also I am surprised that's stayed on here, if true isn't that sensitive information?
dragon2611
Grafter

Not really I'm pretty sure the BTW charges are on a public area of the BTW site... If you can find it that is, it's not the easiest site to navigate.
@jelv if you have 1Gbit/s you don't really need that much local storage, you could pull it all off the cloud quickly enough for most things (Assuming the cloud provider and everyone in between you and them has sufficient bandwidth of course)