Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£193 for a Watch !

Anonymous
Not applicable

£193 for a Watch !

Galaxy Gear is GO!
Samsung unveils its 'fashion statement' smartwatch that is voice activated, answers calls with a flick of the wrist and comes in SIX colours
Expected UK price £193.
( Plus Samsung Galaxy Note 3, for £1,133 over two years !! )

My £25 Lorus Lumibrite just tells the time, at a glance.
And it withstands the high temperatures & humidity in Hong Kong.
Digital watches just can't cope with the high temperatures & humidity in Hong Kong, in my experience.

I don't like Digital Watches you have to actually read to see the time, with Analogue, it's just a glance

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2410257/Galaxy-Gear-GO-Samsung-finally-unveils-fashio...

23 REPLIES 23
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: £193 for a Watch !

Not a bad price for a wearable computer, especially when you consider the prices you can pay for a watch.
Its better than I was expecting for a first attempt from Samsung.
Though the Galaxy lock-in, Samsung bloat and that its a 'watch' means I wouldn't buy one personally.
Quote from: PlusComUK
I don't like Digital Watches you have to actually read to see the time, with Analogue, it's just a glance

Quote from: PlusComUK

( Plus Samsung Galaxy Note 3, for £1,133 over two years !! )

And Rather disingenuous...
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have one of these in daily use.
I wanted a watch with hands so I don't have to put on my glasses to see the time.
It has a number of extra functions which I don't use but it's always the correct time which I did want.
I didn't buy it as a 'fashion statement' as it's functional and that's what I went for.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and I just bought one of these Accurist on the basis that I can read the display with my long distance glasses on and more important it was the only one I could find which would fit round my wrist
I should also mention that it was reasonably cheap  Embarrassed
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've got a fair few watches, 7 at last count, and my newest is the Pebble Smartwatch. I love not having to take my phone out of my pocket to see who's calling me, read text messages on my wrist and even reply to them with some default responses.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You must have good eyesight - I would probably need a magnifying glass and much smaller fingers to work that one  Sad
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The buttons are actually a lot bigger than I thought they'd be, making it very easy to use. It's e-ink so very easy to read too with different sized fonts available. There's even an app to create your own watchfaces with different information/placement of items on it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

with my eyes I would get about three words on the screen - not really much use  Grin
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

http://www.gizmag.com/ring-clock-wristwatch/28918/
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If you spend that much on a watch then buy some overpriced old pants to go with it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-1970s-VINTAGE-NYLON-Y-FRONTS-PANTS-BRIEFS-1970S-ST-MICHAELS-RETRO-LOO...
Strat
Community Veteran

The oldest watch I have is a Wyler Super Tropical.
My Dad bought it in Cairo around 1940 when he was stationed there.
I've absolutely no idea what he paid for it and what it's worth now.
It has his name engraved on the back along with BTE Cairo (British Troops in Egypt).
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not use the clock on your mobile when out & about ?
Put shopping down.
Tap pockets looking for phone.
Unzip pocket.
Get phone out.
Unlock phone.
Shield display from light / find a dark place.
Read time.
Then reverse of above....

or
Look at wrist.
Job done !
Strat
Community Veteran

Or do what lots of people do......ask someone else........who has the practicality to wear a watch.
Anonymous
Not applicable

But keep your distance if asked ....
Once you look down, the baddies punch you, and steal stuff.
JamesM
Grafter

I got one of these a few months back, does the job and I can't tell I am wearing it as it is so light. Keeping time with my radio controlled g-shock, it has lost about 12 seconds in about 3 months. Pretty good for £15.00
http://www.mirrorreaderoffers.co.uk/item-ee-2004/alpine-army-watch/