Did you mean: 

128Gb memory card only being recognised as having 2Mb space

FIXED
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

128Gb memory card only being recognised as having 2Mb space

Hi all,

Got a strange problem - Argos are doing 128Gb memory cards for £29.99. They're SanDisk SDXC UHS-I Cards according to the packaging. So I bought two, one for myself and one for my parents (we live at different locations about 10 minutes from each other).

This is just for backing up data and for £30 per card you can't complain. Anyway... 

So we've got one of the cards each, and a Kodak 81-in-1 card reader each too. My parents laptop is around 13 years old and running Windows XP. When I use that it says it needs to be formatted first - fine. However it says it has 2Mb of capacity, which is obviously wrong. So I didn't go ahead with that. I did a registry change which enabled NTFS from the menu, which didn't seem to make a difference.

So at mine I tried the same (same model but with a different card) and the same model of card reader too (same model again but different). My PC is more modern running Windows 7, and I also have a Mac running the latest OSx (El Capitan I believe). I get the same, PC says it needs to be formatted and only detects a 2Mb size and the Mac says it needs to be initialized first (same thing really but different wording) but still 2Mb.

Other problem I've had is my SLR camera has a 64Gb in it, similar problem where PC and Mac wouldn't read the disk telling me is corrupt (or words to that effect) but the camera reads it fine. I pulled the photos I wanted from it by using a cable direct to the camera.

So my thinking is now:

• Unlikely to be a faulty card or reader as I have tried two different cards of the same model, and tried two different cards and reader.
  • Unlikely to be software or OS related as both of them have been tried on my parents Windows XP laptop, my Windows 7 desktop and my Mac.
  • I have had this problem with 3 different cards (two of the 128Gb ones and one 64Gb from my camera, although it read it fine).

So the solution might be:

• That model of memory card reader is out of date, although it doesn't appear to be as Argos are still selling them now for 8 quid. I don't want to post a link in case I get told off for advertising Cheesy, but if you search for "Kodak memory card reader" on Argos's site I am sure you will find it. So it would appear it is not out of date as it is still being sold now.
  • Should I format it as 2Mb first and will the rest of the space then magically appear? I thought it might be some kind or partition issue and maybe I am doing something stupid.

I know they don't cost much now, but I would rather avoid having to buy new readers if it doesn't fix the problem, so just asking if anyone has any ideas, but If I have to I will. 

My thinking is it might be either:

• I need a new card reader and to throw the one I have in the bin.
  • Format the 2Mb and see if I get anywhere with that.

I suspect it might be the model of reader, and I may need to get another one. Just seems strange to me it seems modern and still being sold.

9 REPLIES 9
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: 128Gb memory card only being recognised as having 2Mb space

Don't format it, I think you'll need a new card reader.

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

If you want a bit of light reading Huh , then look at this overview on SD cards (specifically SDXC) and the compatibility table.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks both, what I thought too. Will have a read up.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Fix

No card reader slot on either of your machines?  E.g. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204384

Alex
Community Veteran

Oooh, definitely not on my PC (built that myself) but I didn't think my Mac mini would have one. I will check that.
Alex
Community Veteran

Ok thanks all for your help, mystery solved .. it is the memory card reader.

Didn't realise my Mac Mini had an SD slot, but it does and when I plugged it in directly it detected the whole capacity.

Wondered why it wouldn't read my camera card too.

Not formatted it yet, but must be those Kodak readers which don't work with 64Gb or 128Gb cards which I only bought a couple of years ago. Argos still seem to be selling them, and they look the same (although they could be a different revised model, you can't easily tell).

So they're going in the bin, anyone using a reader with those size cards that works? Just don't want to buy another couple and still have the same problem. At least they don't cost much nowadays.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have a card reader on my pc (built in type) that reads the 128gb cards fine but I too suffered the same problem with the previous card reader I was using, when I was shopping for a new one I found out there are different standards and you need to check the specs of them to ensure there rated for the higher density cards,

my personal advice is to type in the search string of "sdxc card reader" none of the card readers on argos website list sdxc compatability but there are plenty on amazon or ebay for around the £10 mark, mostly those are just usb sticks, personally I don't go for the massive numbers on card readers just look for something that's listed as sdxc like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-High-Speed-USB3-0-microSDHC-microSDXC/dp/B009D79VH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie... 

this might mean you need to get a couple of different card readers for different card formats but it will prove to be less hassle, or keep the one(s) you already have and just supplement it with the usb stick version linked Smiley

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks nanotm,

Ordered two, they've come and they seem to work fine. Problem solved Smiley

I didn't realise that some card readers don't support SDXC. I naturally assumed that any modern one would support anything. The Kodak ones are annoying as in the blurb it says it is an 81-in-1 card reader which makes you think it will support any card on the planet. They're still being sold now. Problem is something in which an SD card will fit, doesn't mean it'll work.

Anyway lesson learned, and thanks for your help.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

no problems its nice to help out once in a while

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you