cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

125Mbs ADSL2 Wireless Router?

SheilaFord

125Mbs ADSL2 Wireless Router?

Rather than buy a standard 54Mbs ADSL 802.11g wireless router, will I see any speed difference if I buy one thats 125Mbs and ADSL & ADSL2 compatible?
6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: 125Mbs ADSL2 Wireless Router?

Short answer, no.
Longer answer is that currently you wouldn't notice any difference in using an ADSL2+ router as this service is not likely to be available until early next year *AT BEST*.  Also, the 125Mbps refers to your internal connection between your router and your computer.  this is not a reflection of what speeds you will have access to the internet with.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Further the 125Mbs is the wireless speed and will only apply if you also have 125Mbs capable wireless device on your laptop or PC. As most laptops have the standard 54Mbs connection and the 125Mbs wireless is not a standard yet, as far as I know, you may be limited to that manufactures wireless equipment.
It will only benefit PC to PC comms, it will not allow any faster surfing as that speed is determined by your broadband speed.
astarsolutions
Grafter

125Mbs wireless is not a standard yet

125Mbs will never be a standard; it is a proprietary technology used by Belkin, Linksys and probable a few others to improve on the 54Mbs base speed.
You will only benefit if you have matching wireless adapters.
samuria
Grafter

The main advantage of ADSL 2 routers is that as they operate at higher speed ie 24 meg they may be more tolerant of noise etc than the old routers.
There is no guarantee but I found getting a adsl 2 router as given me a higher speed as it will stay connected  with a snr of 3 were as the old one dropped at 7.
I got the Guru one off ebay with wireless £15 and its been great and at that price who can complain
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

As the majority of BT exchanges and LLU connections used by PN only support ADSL1, that is what the router will use to connect thus will not use any of the ADSL2 functionality.
It's more likely the new router is just better at syncing than your last one rather than it's ADSL2 capability being responsible for the improvement.
chino
Grafter

No difference though if your after a good deal you can get the new Netgear DG834N (270mbps wifi) and ADSL2+ for £88 from pcworld rather than £100 from play or £130RRP....
Sorry i know its kind of off topic though it's a good deal and i have just got one  Grin (have to buy online and then pick up in-store).