15 REPLIES 15
Denzil
Grafter

Re: 100 open source gems

Some nice ideas there, thanks.
David_W
Rising Star

That bluetooth utility seems a fantastic idea, so simple in the idea of it, but one of those ideas which make you think "why didn't I think of that?".
For those that missed it, you pair your mobile's bluetooth with the bluetooth on a laptop/pc, when your phone moves a set range from the laptop it can run a script which locks the laptop.  It can run any script and I'm trying to think of really cool ones!
Maybe you could set up Linux to control the lighting in every room, stick in a bluetooth reciever and when your phone goes near/into a room, it'll turn the lights on for you after a certain time of night?
Or you could set it to learn what times you generally get up for a coffee, and if it sees you getting up at X time, it'll automatically start to boil the kettle (though you would need to make sure its full enough every time). 
The possibilities are endless and quite fantastic Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What happens if your mobile goes flat?
<stickinthemud>Personally, I don't have one of these new-fangled mobile things and wouldn't recognise Bluetooth if one bit me</stickinthemud>

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Lurker
Grafter

RFID would be eminently more sensible since you don't need power to the device. (Although admittedly the range is lower generally)
If you RFID'd up your house in extreme style, you could at least look on your computer to locate objects (Are my car keys on i)Bedside cabinet? ii)Bookshelf in hallway iii)On top of cistern in downstairs loo... etc)
David_W
Rising Star

Hmm, you could have a cheap LCD display built into each wall, doesn't need to be big, but with touch screen.  Oh and voice activation.  So if you're looking for your car keys you can press the display and say "computer, locate car keys" and the computer can say "the car keys are currently not on board" (Star Trek TNG pun hehe).
I wonder how accurate bluetooth is at detecting the distance you are from the reciever, or if its just a case of walking out of range of it?
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: dgwebb
That bluetooth utility seems a fantastic idea, so simple in the idea of it, but one of those ideas which make you think "why didn't I think of that?".
For those that missed it, you pair your mobile's bluetooth with the bluetooth on a laptop/pc, when your phone moves a set range from the laptop it can run a script which locks the laptop.  It can run any script and I'm trying to think of really cool ones!

How's about using it to lock/immobilise your car when you leave it? Our Fiat already has a pretty nifty Bluetooth setup builtin for controlling mobile phones and integrated with the radio, mp3, usb socket, data recorder plus gawd alone knows what else. The only worrying thing is it's driven by Microsoft's Windows Mobile so I'm not sure I trust it Smiley
Mike
David_W
Rising Star

Did you watch that Top Gear episode where they went to America again (and were not allowed to be entertaining) so Clarkson got into Hammonds car, and because the car keys were in range of the car he was allowed to drive it, so he left it in the middle of the road!  I think technology like that is dangerous in the hands of some people Cheesy
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: dgwebb
I wonder how accurate bluetooth is at detecting the distance you are from the reciever, or if its just a case of walking out of range of it?

The trigger is when you are out of range, which to all intents and purposes is the same as your phone battery going flat.
Not helpful for some applications.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
The trigger is when you are out of range, which to all intents and purposes is the same as your phone battery going flat.

As both Bluetooth devices would be active it might not be too difficult to make it dependent on detected signal strength, and configurable. As you say you'd need some form of safeguard to prevent your car suddenly deciding you weren't there just as you're doing that dodgy overtake of an artic Smiley
These things always look good on new cars; not sure if I'd want a 10 year old Citroen or Renault with such a thing fitted!
Mike
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: MrC
not sure if I'd want a 10 year old Citroen or Renault with such a thing fitted!

I have a 5 year old Renault with various electical maladies.
I console myself that as each thing stops working, the car has less things left to go wrong...
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
I have a 5 year old Renault with various electical maladies.

Oh, bad luck......only another 5 years to go before it's value goes up Smiley
Mike
Lurker
Grafter

I don't think I can retain my sanity for long enough, fortunately I have a short commute, but if I find myself having to travel further to get to work, I'll defo be on the lookout for something a little less, um temperamental.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Going back to about 94, I was testing the Transit with Emission control Electrics, when it had a fault it went into Limp Home mode, Had one go on me Just up the A40 from Hanger Lane, another at a Little Chef on the A120 near Stansted.  Another "Feature" was that if it triggered off it would not reset if the vehicle was moving, very good on the M25 doing 70 in the outside lane - unladen Chassis Cab, prone to rear wheel lockup, had to coast to hard shoulder to get the engine running again.
O happy days
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Isn't that a bit dangerous?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."