cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10-Port USB Hubs

Mav
Fixes: 514

10-Port USB Hubs

Getting alittle fed up with fiddling around the back of the PC to swap the large array od HDDs I have.
Also, a free 4-way hub that came free many years ago when I purchased something else (can't even remember what now) seems to be giving problems so I thought a 10-port such as 10 Ports USB 2.0 HUB High Speed for PC Laptop Mac would do the job.
Has anyone had good experience of using these or a better recommendation?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

12 REPLIES 12
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: 10-Port USB Hubs

I would not recommend going above 4 ports on an external hub, even then if you are using all 4 ports it should be externally powered for best reliability.
Remember they all have to share the capabilities of a single USB2 port that the hub plugs into and thus you don't get 10 ports all capable of 480Mbs and drawing 500mA each but a share of 480Mbs and 500mA current.
If the majority of your USB devices are externally powered it should not matter too much but still > 4 ports is not recommended.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I got a 7 port Plexus hub a while ago, it appears to the computer as 2 4-port hubs, one connected to the other. It works fine.
Externally powered hubs can supply 500mA to each port, although the power adaptor for that 10 port hub is only listed as 2A so could only provide the max current for 4 devices.
Mav

All devices are externally powered.
I don't actually require 10 ports so maybe a 7-port would suffice.
Perhaps this D-Link DUB-H7 7 - Port USB 2.0 Hub External or even the cheaper USB 7-port Powered Tower Hub.
At less than £6 the latter may be just the ticket. Not sure why it would carry the following warning, though.
Product Safety
This product is subject to specific safety warnings
    Warning: Not suitable for children under 36 months
    Warning: To be used under the direct supervision of an adult

How many children under 3 would need one  Crazy

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How many adults would want one?  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I remember kitchen planners saying you can't have too many 13A socket outlets - seems it's the same with USB ports these days when specifying PCs.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Seven or eight port USB2 hub will work just fine provided there is a separate power supply. Remember though it is a serial protocol with all devices sharing the bandwidth. In some cases mixing several high speed devices could cause a slowing of the service.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Mav

I cant imagine that would impact much on my usage as, mostly, only one disc would be accessed at any one time.
Those that would need to be accessed more frequently and at the same time will still be connected directly to the PC.

hulls
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Product Safety
This product is subject to specific safety warnings
    Warning: Not suitable for children under 36 months
    Warning: To be used under the direct supervision of an adult

It looks as though the manufacturer / importer are treating it as a toy, thus the age warnings.  Sounds like someone who can't be bothered to get proper advice, and so just labels everything in case of the worst possible scenario.  That's why I've seen baby's rattles with the under 36 months age warning on them  Crazy
I guess the product was made in China or similar.
John
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

See http://www.babyusb.com/products/novelty-usb-flash-drives/baby-bottle/69.html

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

colintivy
Rising Star

Agree with Alaric reply #6
I have a 7 port Belkin, seperate powered.with 6 used but rarely more than 2 at any one time. No problems
This leads me to ask is there any performance loss if two active computers are wired into a 4 port router (Belkin N)? The composite output bandwidth must be split or is it time shared?Huh
  Huh
AxeMurderer
Grafter

This leads me to ask is there any performance loss if two active computers are wired into a 4 port router (Belkin N)? The composite output bandwidth must be split or is it time shared?Huh

Well they obviously have to share the internet bandwidth because you only have one internet connection.
If you mean impact on the speeds they communicate with each other, then no, no impact. The wired part of the router is actually a switch which imposes no overhead on two connected PCs communicating via wired ethernet. Add a third and fourth wired PC into the picture and the router still shouldn't have any impact. This is not the case for wireless connections which do have to share the wireless bandwidth, even when there are only two of them.
colintivy
Rising Star

Ta AxeM,
Having a very variable download speed for months, I did wonder if that had any impact when both computers are at it.
Thanks.
Cheesy