cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

teletext on BBC Channels through youview

quizereus
Grafter

teletext on BBC Channels through youview

Hello there, up until today I have been able to get teletext on all BBC channels through you view.

Today the teletext just stopped?

A phone call to Plusnet, with a 40 minute wait time, led me to being told that the teletext feature has nothing to do with the you view box?

It has worked fine for the last 2 years but now pressing the 'text' button does nothing on you view. If I change input to 'Antenna' then the text function works fine. Just not from You view?

I know this is a small issue because I can just pick up the other tv remote and swap of off you view and get the teletext to work, but I like things to work properly and they are not.

Is the Plusnet bloke right or do I need a new you view box?

22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: teletext on BBC Channels through youview

Teletext ended in 2012 so I don't know what you are referring to?

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@quizereus - Are you really meaning the on screen TV Guide or EPG as it's more commonly known?

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 33

It's now called BBC Red Button.

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Bamboozled
Grafter

quizereus wrote:

Hello there, up until today I have been able to get teletext on all BBC channels through you view.

Today the teletext just stopped?

A phone call to Plusnet, with a 40 minute wait time, led me to being told that the teletext feature has nothing to do with the you view box?

It has worked fine for the last 2 years but now pressing the 'text' button does nothing on you view. If I change input to 'Antenna' then the text function works fine. Just not from You view?

I know this is a small issue because I can just pick up the other tv remote and swap of off you view and get the teletext to work, but I like things to work properly and they are not.

Is the Plusnet bloke right or do I need a new you view box?

Strangely I have just signed up for and got a Youview + Box and am learning what each button does and does not do.

I have been pressing the Text button for the time I have had it (about 8 days) and what I have always called Teletext appeared in a column down the right side of the Screen

Just this morning the Text button would not do anything at all and still wont. So because I used to get a "Press Red" Button message on my last Freeview Box to access "Text" I pressed the Red Button and it came up with Red Button + in top right corner .... and when I did I got a more modern type of Text in the left column.

So I don't know the answer to your question really but I guess it has altered just today and in fact I was coming on here to ask what button or feature I had invoked - AND because I prefer the "old" version of the Text - and wanted to put it back to  how it was , what to press to get it back ! 

PeeGee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

PeterLoftus wrote:

Teletext ended in 2012 so I don't know what you are referring to?

Teletext, as it was Ceefax that ended in 2012.

I had the same situation this AM on youview and, I have just found, on Freeview direct to the TV. However, it was still available on freesat when I checked.

Redbutton + is the service for mobile phone addicts (it has pages of tiles) and doesn't appear to carry the full set of the teletext content. The + appears to refer to the amount of key presses to get anywhere there may be information, compared with teletext.

Phil

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link TD-W9980 modem-router.
quizereus
Grafter

on any BBC program, if you touch the 'text' button on your remote you get the news and sport text function.

this only stopped today.

quizereus
Grafter

No, I am referring to the 'text' function.

Bamboozled
Grafter

quizereus wrote:

on any BBC program, if you touch the 'text' button on your remote you get the news and sport text function.

this only stopped today.

Yes I am agreeing with you. I have had the Box 7 days tops and the Text Button has packed in as of this morning and was replaced by something "new"

Having given it a try it is not as bad as I thought and I will have to live with it in the same way as when someone alters my EMail service !

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Community Veteran

FWIW the function is still working on BBC channels on SKY

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
quizereus
Grafter

PeterLoftus wrote:

FWIW the function is still working on BBC channels on SKY

Yes Peter, I have Sky too on my other T/V, and teletext works fine, it also works if I turn off the You view box and change T/V input to 'Antenna'. It only does not work on the You view platform and this started yesterday.

Only Plusnet say it is not their problem?

Community Veteran

But it ain't Teletext that was a generic name including BBC Ceefax ITV Oracle etc. see here http://teletext.mb21.co.uk 

Now they trade as a separate marketing company selling holidays and cars. Lips are sealed

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PeeGee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Since teletext is a generic name for transmitting text within a broadcast signal, it still exists and the fact that the company (IIRC set up to provide the non-BBC services) has changed its market is irrelevant.

A more useful explanation, IMHO, can be found at wikipedia.

Phil

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link TD-W9980 modem-router.
Community Veteran

@PeeGee have you read the link you put up? in it says Teletext was associated with PAL and that MHEG-5 replaced it for digital television

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What has happened is that a couple of days ago the red button prompt changed to Red Button+ and it now goes straight to the Red Button+ service with no way, as far as I can tell, of accessing the text-based service. On my Sony TV, the Text button still brings up this service, but not on the YouView box, which is a pain. If anyome knows how to get it, that would be great.