cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recorder box

gordo1952
Dabbler

recorder box

I already own a  Goodmans 500gig  freeview recorder.  can this be used with the standard  youview TV box  from Plusnet ..
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: recorder box

You can use both, but you will need to split the aerial connection to both to allow them to record/display when the other box is off.
I.e.
TV Aerial ->> splitter
Splitter o/p 1 -> box 1
Splitter o/p 2 -> box 2
And of course plug both into your TV. Or use the other box in a different room.

gordo1952
Dabbler

Wink    thanks buddy ..appreciate that,  was what I was thinking... just wondered if anything else was there.... cheers
mkpike
Dabbler

I have a Humax box (for recording) and Sky Box (for BT Sports via Plusnet  with no record as no Sky sub being paid).
Both boxes are always powered up and in standby mode if not being used.
One dish connection is exclusive to the Humax box and the other cable is split with a permanent connection to both boxes.
I haven't twigged when, but sometimes I do not get a signal when I activate the Sky box alone - but if I activate the Humax box Sky returns.
I mention this because I messed around with unplugging/plugging connections before my Humax turned on to record something and the Sky box started working.
Might be the same on your configuration?
By aerial I assumed Shy dish otherwise please ignore.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The OP has Freeview which is different (and a slot simpler) to satellite reception, 
Splitting LNB feeds from dishes is fraught with problems.  You really need an independent feed from the dish per box input, so a quad would be needed for your application.rather than the dual you have now.
To explain your issue - Each LNB needs to be powered and the splitter allows one box (the Humax) to power the LNB but not the other (the Sky box).  The other issue is that the LNB is told to switch between polarity and band by a combination of DC voltage and tones sent on the cable.  If the Sky box is tuned to a channel on a different polarity/band to the Humax then it won't work as the LNB will be feeding the wrong signal down the cable.