cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet youview+ box

JohnWeston
Hooked

plusnet youview+ box

I have just upgraded to plusnet fibre. Once it's up and running I will get the plusnet youview+ tv package. Does anyone know what model the box is ? I inow it's a Humax, but is it the T4000 Ultra HD model, as Plusnet are not able to confirm this for me.

14 REPLIES
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Re: plusnet youview+ box

@JohnWeston

I don't know the exact model but it is definitely not the 4k Ultra HD model. Sad

From https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/bt-vs-talktalk-vs-plusnet-for-youview-tv.html

Plusnet Youview box

Referred to by Plusnet as the Z4, and by Youview as either the DT2200 or DT2220, the boxes are really neat - less than 15cm square and just 3.3cm deep.

Plusnet Youview+ box

while Plusnet customers get a Humax DTR-T2120.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

@SpendLessTime - I think the first part of that quote is irrelevant and refers to the box we provide on our basic YouView package (As opposed to YouView+)

SpendLessTime wrote:

Plusnet Youview+ box

while Plusnet customers get a Humax DTR-T2120.

That part looks correct, I believe the box is the T2120 G4. However I'd need to double check this with our products team when they're back in on Monday to be 100% sure.

@JohnWeston - I'm afraid SpendLessTime is correct in saying the YouView box we provide is not the 4K Ultra HD Model.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
JohnWeston
Hooked

So if I'm correct, BT offer an ultra HD box with 1TB storage and capable of showing 4k viewing (Bt sport, Netflix films etc) while Plusnet do not, only the 500gb storage and no ultra HD viewing. Is it worth waiting for Plusnet to start offering Ultra HD boxes seeing as they use BT products and won't want to get left behind in the fast expanding 4k Ultra HD market.

Another option I have is to buy a Humax 4000T box or a BT 4000T box ( readily available on ebay)

and use it with my Plusnet Hub 1 and plusnet fibre service and pay £5 month for Plusnet TV ? Or will this be incompatible ?

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

@JohnWeston

As Plusnet are BT's budget brand ISP, I won't expect them to directly compete as they are part of the same group.

In my 8 years as a customer of Plusnet, if you need a service and Plusnet don't currently offer it then it is probably better to move to one who does.

Also Plusnet will never offer any hints as to possible future services nor timescales.

On a personal note, is 4K going to be the new 3D of TV's? That was the future of all entertainment just a few years ago and now has vanished off the radar.

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 32

I don't think that 4K will disappear like 3D has as the higher definition is a logical progression from HD and I do expect it to become mainstream.

8K is on it's way though!

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Not quite the same phrasing as SpenLessTime has used, however I'm not aware of any plans for us to start offering 4K options. That's not to say it will never happen, but I couldn't possibly say if/when that may turn up in our offerings Sad

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 6

1. SpendLessTime wrote:

On a personal note, is 4K going to be the new 3D of TV's? That was the future of all entertainment just a few years ago and now has vanished off the radar.

No, 3D was a gimmick 4K and UHD are a logical progressions of resolution, although the biggest gains will come from HDR and WCG not increases in resolution, especially as most Brits sit to far away from their TVs  to benefit fully from 1080 let alone 4K/UHD

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

DaveyH wrote:

especially as most Brits sit to far away from their TVs  to benefit fully from 1080 let alone 4K/UHD

I remember having a similar discussion with someone once where this chart came in useful:

resolution_chart.jpg

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Looking at that chart you need to watch an 80inch screen from 5 feet away to benefit from 4K TV.

Seems like a plan to me!Crazy3

HarryB wrote:

DaveyH wrote:

especially as most Brits sit to far away from their TVs  to benefit fully from 1080 let alone 4K/UHD

I remember having a similar discussion with someone once where this chart came in useful:

resolution_chart.jpg

Community Veteran

Oooh, I've seen countless argument about resolution, and triggered by that graph! I used to argue that perspective too.

One thing to note is that the distances on that graph are calculated assuming you have 20/20 vision, which everyone thinks of as "normal vision".

Unfortunately, this assumption isn't actually true ... and might not have been back in 1862, when Snellen came up with the system. And, of course, corrective glasses and lenses have come on massively since then.

When you attend an eye test, the bottom line represents 20/10 vision; the next line up represents 20/15; the next line up represents 20/20. If you can see the bottom line, you have vision twice as sharp as 20/20.

I need glasses, and have done for nearly 40 years. But when I attend my eye tests, I end up being able to see (with the right correction applied) the second line up quite easily (20/15), and I can make out nearly all of the letters correctly on the bottom line (20/10).

I don't think my eyes are especially brilliant, but it looks like I would get a benefit from 4K using double the distances in that graph.

Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
stereohaven
Rising Star

JohnWeston wrote:

So if I'm correct, BT offer an ultra HD box with 1TB storage and capable of showing 4k viewing (Bt sport, Netflix films etc) while Plusnet do not, only the 500gb storage and no ultra HD viewing.

Correct.

JohnWeston wrote:

Is it worth waiting for Plusnet to start offering Ultra HD boxes seeing as they use BT products and won't want to get left behind in the fast expanding 4k Ultra HD market.

Up to you I guess, but Plusnet are quite happy as a budget provider to operate towards the rear of all markets, letting others (such as the parent company), absorb the cost of early adoption. If you want the latest content in the best picture quality available, then you need to spend more money.

However, apart from sport through BT UHD and SkyQ, the majority of current 4K content is available through Netflix, Amazon Video and YouTube, only one of which (Netflix), are available through any version of a YouView box. 

JohnWeston wrote:

Another option I have is to buy a Humax 4000T box or a BT 4000T box ( readily available on ebay)

and use it with my Plusnet Hub 1 and plusnet fibre service and pay £5 month for Plusnet TV ? Or will this be incompatible ?

As long as they are YouView boxes they will work fine, but you still need to order a YouView box from Plusnet as it is the only way to activate the TV service at their end. You can buy the cheapest "zapper" box at £6.99, use it to activate the service and then swap to a different box: 

Zapper BoxZapper Box

stereohaven
Rising Star

HarryB wrote:

resolution_chart.jpg

As an owner of a 4K TV that is only 5ft away from my normal viewing position I would like to respectfully offer the opinion that the above graph is a load of twaddle! Grin

The difference in picture quality between HD and UHD is incredible for most sources, although I do think HDR has a lot to do with it.

The only content I struggle to see a difference between HD and UHD in is Dolby Vision, but this may be because the content presented is often dark and grainy, such as Netflix's Marvel stuff.  

I agree that the further away you are the more acceptable standard definition is though and for most people the difference between 720p and 1080p HD is negligible.  

PowerLee
Rising Star

Would a Humax 4000 T box work with Plusnet TV?

That box is classed as a Freeview play box.

Plusnet TV is classed as a YouView service.

While the Humax box catch up services would work, what happens if in the future you wish to add any of the Plusnet channel packages? Would they actually work on a Freeview play box?

stereohaven
Rising Star

No it wouldnt, it has to be a YouView box but can be any branded BT or TalkTalk, or a retail version (bought from the shops rather than supplied as part of a subscription).

I have amended my post above as I thought the poster was referring to the BT branded DTR-T4000 UHD box.