cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

channels missing

karloz

channels missing

Hi,
      I've just plugged my tv ariel into the youview box and retuned it to get the freeview channels.I've retuned it a few times and get the same result. However I am missing quite a few channels such as itv3, itv4, dave, pick and i'm sure theres a few others. These channels have been working fine for two months or so when the ariel is plugged directly into my TV. Signal strength is 74% and quality 100%.
What could the issue be?
11 REPLIES
hex
Grafter

Re: channels missing

After scanning for channels does it ask you to select your region?
In a lot of places you will get a signal from more than one TV transmitter and some of these transmitters do not broadcast all channels (known as 'freeview light' transmitters).  The Youview box seems to select the transmitter based on the region you choose after scanning for channels - so if you have the option try one of the alternatives to see if that gives you all the channels.
For more info about transmitters in your region you can search on http://www.ukfree.tv/prediction (do not 'share location' unless you have a device that supports it otherwise it will probably get the wrong location - just enter your postcode in the search box)
ricke17
Grafter

I ended up having to use a TV booster - YV told me that as it has split tuners it is more sensitive to miss out on channels (or something like that)
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
karloz

Quote from: hex
After scanning for channels does it ask you to select your region?
In a lot of places you will get a signal from more than one TV transmitter and some of these transmitters do not broadcast all channels (known as 'freeview light' transmitters).   The Youview box seems to select the transmitter based on the region you choose after scanning for channels - so if you have the option try one of the alternatives to see if that gives you all the channels.
For more info about transmitters in your region you can search on http://www.ukfree.tv/prediction (do not 'share location' unless you have a device that supports it otherwise it will probably get the wrong location - just enter your postcode in the search box)

Thanks for the reply..no, it doesn't give me the option to select a region after tuning
KevinG
Grafter

Quote from: ricke17
YV told me that as it has split tuners it is more sensitive to miss out on channels (or something like that)

That statement is gobbledegook. What does "more sensitive to miss out" mean? I have certainly found the Youview tuner to be the most sensitive I have used, which means it is better at picking up weak signals (the local mux in my case).
ricke17
Grafter

I was only trying to help you, there was no need to be rude.
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
auto98
Grafter

Hi karloz - could you check your details here: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/
From what I can see, those channels don't appear to be available to you, they aren't even there in red.
KevinG
Grafter

Quote from: ricke17
I was only trying to help you, there was no need to be rude.

Sorry for any offence, I didn't think I was being rude, I just could make no sense of the post.
KevinG
Grafter

Quote from: J
From what I can see, those channels don't appear to be available to you, they aren't even there in red.

From the OP:
These channels have been working fine for two months or so when the ariel is plugged directly into my TV. Signal strength is 74% and quality 100%.
auto98
Grafter

Indeed, but my guess is that these weren't through freeview - it would appear that for some reason only some of the channels are available at the address in question
I am looking into it, but it does agree with what karloz is experiencing.
KevinG
Grafter

If the area is served by a relay transmitter rather than a main transmitter, it would explain the absence of those channels on the checker.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@KevinG spot on.  That's my situation! When I installed PNTV I had already optimised my aerial for Freeview. It's redirected to Bilsdale
http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Bilsdale ignoring our local repeater at Hunmanby near Filey. I use a signal booster.
The agent when I signed up could only identify 14 channels we could receive based on the their info and insisted on telling me about that. But I get 150+. But they come and go depending on atmospherics. The last time I retuned the YouView box all the HD channels appeared for BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc. But very iffy with loads of pixilation.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra