cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

activation fee for youview tv

mickr62
Grafter

activation fee for youview tv

Can someone tell me why you have to pay £50.00 activation fee if you use have a youview + recordable box

With thanks

Mickr

15 REPLIES
Casey
Rising Star

Re: activation fee for youview tv

I asked that when I was offered TV - got no real reply about why.

I also don't see why there should be an activation fee - what's to activate?
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

It's not really an activation fee as much as it is a fee for the hardware in honesty. Something that I've fed back into our commercial team before (and will do again).

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
mickr62
Grafter

I already have a humax youview receiver , Would I still have to pay £50.00

With thanks

Mickr

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

Unfortunately we'd only support the boxes we provide. Although I appreciate it may be the same box, we can't guarantee that any of the services would work on a third party box, so if you signed up to the lower package as opposed to the + package, it may not record channels.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
biggles001
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Surely,it would operate as an ordinary PVR without access to internet channels anway.

mickr62
Grafter

Yes it will record all freeview channels as that is what its designed for. But by the sound of it not the plusnet extra channels if you take the tv package.But could you watch them. As its the same box I feel its a bit of a con, just another way of getting money out of you. Better going for Nowtv or Netflex for your extra channels with no contract.

Mickr

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm not saying 100% that it wouldn't work, all I'm saying is that we wouldn't support it. We also don't offer TV packages without the hardware unfortunately.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
mickr62
Grafter

Plusnets policy is a bit short sighted I think , there probably quite a few people who already have youview boxes. Also the 18month contract for something you cant even try is abit steep .

Mickr

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

12/18 Month contracts on any broadband product are the same. We don't offer a 'try before you buy' option, however there is still the 14 days (From the day after requesting the contract) period to change your mind and cancel the contract, as there is with anything else sold over the phone.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
mickr62
Grafter

So are you saying I could take the cheaper tv package and try it for 14 days and providing it was canceled within 14 days I would not be held to the 18 month contract.

Mickr

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Not necessarily that you could try it for 14 days (Keeping delivery time in mind) but if you decided to change your mind and get in touch with us within 14 days from the day after the point of sale to cancel the service, you wouldn't be held to the contract. You would however, still be liable for any cost for the service during that time and have to return any equipment provided.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Although I was an early adopter, joining the PN TV service as soon as it became available, I rang up and the agent waived the cost of a Youview + box and I got a discount on the fee. I don't know what the current offers are but ringing in seems the best option rather than debating on here. Cool smiley

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
mickr62
Grafter

Yes I think your right best to ring and talk to someone about it .

Mickr

jonstannes

I got the youview + box for free last month just had to agree new 2 year contract just rang up asked what offers etc they had.Can confirm you can record the ip add on channels and the box is fast at channel change and you can record 2 over the air channels and watch an ip channel at same time  ,unlike talktalks youview bo which had the other year was a pile of [-Censored-],Fired sky tv off now saving a bundle an wife an kids are happy so must be ok Smiley