cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview upgrade to graphical MyTV screen

simplecomms
Hooked

Youview upgrade to graphical MyTV screen

The upgrade to graphical interface for MYTV has made your Youview device 'unusable'.

Why was the option not given to have a list view of recorded programs?

The graphical interface is a joke!

When looking for a recording, the name of the program is not displayed.

In no particular order, these are some negative points about the MyTV interface.

When a recording is stopped near the end of the program, when it is next accessed, there is no method of returning to the start of the program.

After accessing the partly viewed recording, when stopped, the MyTV screen closes and a TV channel program is displayed.

The viewer then has to navigate to the recorded program again.

When looking for a recording, the name of the program is not displayed.

You either have to guess the program from a picture or guess the program from the first one or two words of the name of the program.

It was explained to me that the programming language used for the upgrade, provided the ability to make future upgrades easier.

That being the case, give the option of a list view in MyTV.

Why is there a large picture at the top left hand corner of each page of recorded programs?

If the top left hand picture was the same size as the others, scrolling right would result in navigating the top row.

If I wanted the second row down, as soon as I enter the screen at the top left hand corner, I would know to either scroll right or down to reach the top or second row down.

Of course, I could only begin to navigate the screen, IF I have established whether or not the recording I want to watch, is on that screen.

It takes at least 10/15 seconds to scan the screen and only maybe then finding the recording I want to watch.

The Day & date are far too prominent and not so relevant as the program title.

When you find the title, open the program, you are then presented with the list of recordings under that title.

Then the date may be more important.

When a recording is deleted, the  confirmation window does not display the title of the program to be deleted.

As stated already, the interface in MyTV would be pathetic for any commercial/industrial application.

Your application is supposed to be for pleasure so should be very simple and intuitive to use.

A option of a list view of recordings should be available in Youview.

It should be listed as: date / title / length of recording

I would like the recordings listed in date order, but others may prefer other options.

Users can take their time to use other screens in Youview.

MyTV screen should be intuitive to use.

All manufactures who produce Youview screens have to accept this 'graphic intensive' upgrade, so end users have no choice.

Youview - get your act together and produce the option of list views.

On the EPG screen, users have to guess the time a program starts and ends.

Select a program in the EPG (Electronic Page Guide), and you have to draw an imaginary line from the start and end of the selection, up to the time bar, then guess the time of the start and end of the program.

Like the previous version of Youview, the start and end time of the program should be displayed somewhere at the top of the EPG, for the selected program.

41 REPLIES
jafreer
Rising Star

Re: Youview upgrade to graphical MyTV screen

My box received the update a couple of days ago and I have to say I share most of your frustrations.

Most of my complaint is around the recordings.

1) When you are near the end of your programme, you can't easily delete it (like before). When you hit stop you go right back to the start screen of the recordings, and have to find the programme you just watched by scrolling through everything until you find one that says 'partially watched', then delete it.

2) The tiles are clunky and confusing enough, but why on earth is the first tile so large compared to the others?

3) Only when you navigate to a tile, does it tell you how many programmes are in there. Why not just have that displayed permanently on each tile, so you don't have to move to it just to find out.

4) where you have multiple recordings in a tile, it only lists 5 per screen. There is a load of wasted space at the bottom part of the screen. If you have 50 or 60 programmes in there, it takes an age to navigate to the last one in the list. There is no page up or down equivalent.

5) It is quite easy to delete all programmes in a tile by mistake. Especially if you are used to the old way of deleting a single programme.

YouView are clearly trying to achieve a modern look, which is fine, but not at the cost of functionality. I think the new software has the potential to be quite good but they really need to address these issues. They could even use some shortcut keys on the remote without changing the layout they have. For example, if you pause a recording (or even if you don't), maybe hitting the red button can delete it. Or when you are in a tile full of recordings, maybe hitting 0 takes you to the end of the list of programmes etc. Simple additions that could go a long way to addressing the issues that lots and lots of people are saying they don't like.

Fixes: 116

jafreer wrote:

5) It is quite easy to delete all programmes in a tile by mistake. Especially if you are used to the old way of deleting a single programme.

A week or so ago I deleted an entire series of a comedy on my non-PN YouView box that has recently been upgraded to 2.0. Thankfully I had seen all episodes but was looking forward to re-watching them again in a few months. Luckily I am certain the entire series will probably repeated later this year.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Justme
Dabbler

It's here, it's installed, it's less than twenty four hours old... and it's, well, extremely... 'underwhelming' (really wanted to write a rude word there!)... 

I can't disagree with any of the negative comments thus far. Several of the channels that were stable and watchable before the upgrade now pixelate and are completely unwatchable. After a channel retune to sort it out the prefered Yorkshire transmitter can no longer be reached, with the box only wanting to select the North East..... 

We've counted to ten.... several times...... Now, where's me big hammer!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

So when is the rollout happening? Our box is still on the "old" system, not looking forward to SHMBO bending my ear 'cause she can't find her recordings.
KevinG
Grafter

Mine was updated today. Haven't had a chance to explore it properly yet.

Justme
Dabbler

Ok, after relentless faffing, turning it off and on, retuning and more faffing it now works.... after a fashion. Continuous scrolling through channels in EPG mode has been removed - when the extreme is reached you have to scroll back again.... Marvellous, that's not at all frustrating...! No doubt someone felt very proud and received an award for this achievement (said with just a modicum of sarcasm) Crazy

cegueira
Hooked

I created a thread detailing how I'm attempting to avoid the update:
https://community.plus.net/t5/TV/Avoiding-NextGen-update/td-p/1425847
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

After my post yesterday our box was updated last night.
So far so good, but she has only played with it for a few minutes, this afternoon will be the testing time.
jafreer
Rising Star

One interesting thing I have found with the update is that you can now fast forward and rewind multicast recordings at variable speeds. Prior to the update, you could only jump forward a minute at a time, and backwards 15 seconds at a time (multicast channels only).

Interestingly, prior to this update, it was said that the reason these multicast channels couldn't be forwarded and rewound except in chunks was because of the way they were broadcast. However, I notice that even the recordings made before the update now also can be rewound and forwarded at varying speeds. So sounds to me like this was very much a box software limitation rather than the way the channels were broadcast.

peteshew
Hooked

Agreed. Absolutely dreafdful, I thought there was something wrong. It is much easier to read program titles in a list as it was before and much better use of screen "real estate" than cluttering it up with unnecessary images.

I find the new display hard to take in as the important program names are hidden in the mozaic of highly colorful images..

I searched, in vain, in the settings for a revert to the earlier 'skin'. Is this just a Plusnet thing or have all the Humax boxes followed suit. I am likely to start looking for an alternative, even if it means losing the IPTV, if it doesn't improve.

rolya
Grafter

Oh my lord - what has happened to YouView interface

Never known such a bad experience! Loss of functionality:

1. No wrap around on menus
  2. No start time select in recordings
  3. Lack of easy view of series recordings

but the user experience is even worse.

1. Stop playing a series recording and it puts you back to the main MyView menu, so you have to navigate all the way back thru to the recording you want - very time consuming
  2. Big tiles that make bad use of screen space 
  3. part showing of recorded program  titles makes it difficult to see which one to select when not collated as a series
  4. films that are recorded in 2 parts (either side of news) are not grouped together, kept as separate recordings and you have to info which one to start with

i could go on - it is slow as well!!!!!

this has to be the most ill thought out and ill conceived of ideas with no user trials and no requirements review/gathering. TV viewing experiences are meant to improve and be state of the art - but this is a huge step backwards and is now leaning me towards finding a better way! 

Ticked off

simplecomms
Hooked

No, this upgrade is not just for Plusnet.

It is for ALL Youview boxes, no matter who the manufacturer is.

THE GRAPHICS INTERFACE FOR MYTV IS GENERATED FROM A LIST VIEW, SO WHY NOT GIVE THE OPTION FOR CUSTOMERS TO SEE THE NAME OF THE PROGRAMS THEY WANT TO WATCH.

MUCH EASIER THAN GUESSING WHAT THE PROGRAM IS ABOUT FROM ONLY A PICTURE.

I read that the plan is to also apply the upgrade to older Youview boxes.

The new programming used for this upgrade makes it easier to apply future upgrades, so no reason not to apply an upgrade, which gives the option of a list view for MyTV / MyView / Recordings.

simplecomms wrote:

I read that the plan is to also apply the upgrade to older Youview boxes.

My YouView box is from the trials of summer 2012 and recieved the update a few weeks ago

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Topics merged