Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview unable to connect to internet

nightsurfer
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Youview unable to connect to internet

Two days ago my BT badged Humax Youview box started showing BT TV in the top left corner of the TV guide page and now says it can connect to the router but not the internet.  I can no longer get iplayer etc,

All other devices connect to the internet fine.

I have tried a software reset and a factory reset of the box to no avail.

At one point I connected the Youview box direct to the router and switched off all the wifi connections,  but this made no difference.

It would seem that the Youview box is not recognising the Plusnet channel and is trying to connect to BT.

Plusnet telephone helpline were unable to assist.

Does anyone have any idea how I might get my internet connection back?

Thanks

5 REPLIES
Shep41
Aspiring Pro

Re: Youview unable to connect to internet

. Are you subscribing to plusnet TV channels?. In the you view menu try checking that internet setting are set to auto. It could be a DNS error in which you could manually set these up. Try Google's DNS and see if this helps. The Google DNS servers are as follows. Primary is 8.8.8.8 and secondary is 8.8.4.4.
Give it a try and see if it helps
nightsurfer
Dabbler

Hi,  thanks for the reply.

No,  I am not subscribed to any paid for channels.

I also tried the google DNS's as primary and secondary,  but it made no difference.

I'm assuming that the Youview box tries to connect to a specific IP through the PlusNet network.  If I could find out what that is I might be able to ping it.

alibyrne

Hi - belatedly joining this thread - did you find an answer to your problem,?, because I'm having exactly the same problem  Using my old BT box, having moved broadband to PlusNet, and I can connect to my router from the box but it will not then go on to connect to the internet, so no catch up although I can record and replay no problem.  Interested to hear if you've resolved this.

nightsurfer
Dabbler

Hi,

No, not solved as yet.

I purchased a BT DTR2100 off Gumtree (another Humax) and that works just fine the same remote controls both, which is fun!

My thinking is that a software update around Christmas knocked it out, so every couple of months I plan on connecting it back to the internet to see if it works again.  Otherwise I'm recording films to the old box and other things to the new box.

Apparently,  this is quite a common fault.

Will update the thread if I manage to get the old box back online.

Good luck.

millimole
Dabbler

I've just joined Plusnet from BT. I could not get my (very) old BT branded YouView box to connect through my new Plusnet router. In the end I resorted to using my old BT router with my Plusnet credentials and it works fine. I assume there's something in the routing of the BT router?