cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview+ remote

sharky-fil
Hooked

Youview+ remote

Had my plusnet youview+ box a couple of days now and I'm finding the remote unusable.. it takes about 4-5 presses of a button for the box to respond. I've tried new batteries and it's just the same, even if I'm right in front of the box. I've still got my bt yv box (which is the same) and it's miles better. My bt remote with the pn box is still terrible. Is my box faulty?
9 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 18

Re: Youview+ remote

I am sorry to hear about this @sharky-fil

is it only certain buttons that your having difficulty or just the remote in general?

Also when you are using the remote is it just taking a while for the box to respond to your action?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Ben Babinski
 Plusnet Help Team
sharky-fil
Hooked

Hello, its the remote in general... It is at its worse in the tv guide and settings screen. The cursors and ok button are the worst. In the catch up player screen is less bad.. Its not a delay responding as in - if I wait it eventually works... it just doesn't work unless I repeatedly press the buttons until it does work - if that makes sense.

Reginard

I had the same issue. I reset the remote and switched the box off at the mains. Now it works like a dream.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 18

Thanks for getting back to me @sharky-fil

As @Reginard mentioned a reset of the remote will possibly fix this issue for you. All you have to do to perform the reset is hold the "AD" button to the left of "0" and the "Delete SUB" button combined with the big blue "Y" button. Hold these for at least 5 seconds.The blue light will then flash 3 times which then you release the buttons and then the blue light will flash again a further 3 times.

After this the remote will be reset and the issue resolved. Just let me know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Ben Babinski
 Plusnet Help Team
sharky-fil
Hooked

Already tried that initially I'm afraid... I think I just need to put it down to experience.. My box is faulty and I'm not willing to risk a £100 engineer visit. Why I just cant return the box is beyond me.. I'd rather spend the £100 on a box that is fit for purpose and has a warranty... For now i'm just using my old BT box which is the same as my plusnet box but it works..

I must confess, I've only been with plusnet a month and I've spent more time on the phone/online chat or support forum than I have done with BT, talktalk and Virgin for the last 15 years...

Roll on 17 months time !!!

biggles001
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

As you have a BT box,have you tried to control it with the PN handset,and the other way round,to make sure that the PN handset is at fault?

Ian_D
Hooked

I have the same problem, it's almost certainly not the remote (also does it with my Harmony), it's the Youview+ box -- there have been lots of reports on the BT and TalkTalk forums (and elsewhere) about this, the problem is insufficient filtering/noise rejection in the IR receiver, in other words a design problem with the box. If there is a source of IR noise in the room, including many TVs (especially plasma) but also some types of lighting, this is not adequately filtered out and swamps the IR signal from the remote control.

I've just had an engineer visit from the firm who maintain all the BT/TalkTalk/YouView boxes and he said it's a known issue with this box, they have a list of TVs which have triggered the problem -- but it's not a problem with the TVs, most other remote-controlled electronics (including four different things all sitting next to my Youview+ box) don't show the problem. It's even known to the companies who design and supply IR remote-control receivers. However it doesn't seen to be known to Plusnet support...

A temporary bodge is to move the box to where it picks up less reflected IR noise from the TV screen (e.g. towards the back of a deep cabinet or where it's shadowed by a shelf) and put a folded piece of paper (2 thicknesses worked for me) over the IR sensor at the RH end of the front panel. Mine now works nearly all the time, but this shouldn't be needed to fix a basic design problem with the hardware -- an STB which won't work next to a TV is not fit for purpose.

The engineer took my TV details (Panasonic TX43G30 plasma) and claimed that it may be possible for them to download a firmware fix to the problem, but I'll believe it when I see it. In the meantime I've told Plusnet that as it stands the box is not fit for purpose, and if they can't fix it in firmware then they need to fix the hardware and supply an updated box which works properly, or I'll consider cancelling my contract.

This is all really annoying, especially it taking a week and four phonecalls to Plusnet to get an engineer to come out (which they insist on doing, and threatening to charge for it -- not sure this is legal with a fault from new?) to tell me what I knew already and say they'd post me a replacement box. When the box is working it's really very well thought out, but this experience has soured my relationship with Plusnet which was previously very good.

Let's hope they can come up with a solution to this -- also sort out their customer support... ;-)

Simh1

Had the same problem. Panasonic plasma TV. Workaround that works for me is to change the TV picture mode from 'Cinema' to 'Normal'. I know this might not be ideal but I get far less IR interference in this mode and the remote is useable if not completely perfect. In Cinema mode the remote becomes unuseable. Definitely a hardware issue with the YV+ box here.

Ian_D
Hooked

Try the double thickness post-it note -- completely fixed the problem for me with no need to change the TV settings.

(fold in half, then into an L-shape with sticky strip on the inside, then place over IR receiver so one leg of L is on top of box and other leg covers the front panel -- sticky bit of post-it keeps it in place)