cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview box stopped responding to the remote(s)

mmace
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Youview box stopped responding to the remote(s)

Been with PlusNet for a good few months now, had a nightmare with our broadband connection dropping (still ongoing, BT due out yet again next week), however, our Youview box seems to be failing now. I feel if I complain about this to them I'm pushing it with the amount of issues I'm having!

We use a Harmony Hub and a few days ago I noticed we had to press things a couple of times before it responded. Been working fine since December when we got it and everything else is reacting OK, TV, sound bar, Xbox & Android box. Thought it was the Harmony playing up so I got the Youview remote back out, that was doing exactly the same. Replaced the batteries, no better (blue LED on the remote flashes happily). Over the past 2 days the box has responded to less and less commands, until today when it's responding to around 1 in 20 button presses, almost impossible to watch HD channels (3 numbered channels), can't use the guide etc etc

I've blocked off everything around the box to ensure there's no other signals interfering, I've restarted the box (mains unplugged, numerous times), moved it to another part of the room etc.

It has to be the Youview box, not the remote as Harmony remote is getting exactly the same results.

Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 86

Re: Youview box stopped responding to the remote(s)

Hi @mmace,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having these issues and please don't feel at all like you're raising too many issues at once - after all it's our job to provide these services to you and help fix them whenever anything goes wrong.

In regards to the YouView Box, I can see that you've said you've tried restarting the box and unplugging it from the mains, but in addition to this, do you know if you've been able to perform a factory reset on the box? If not, I would recommend carrying this out and I have included a link here to the official YouView Support site, which will walk you through this process every step of the way.

Please make sure to read the instructions for your YouView Box model closely (which should be found towards the bottom of the page) and try a maintenance mode reset first so that you don't lose access to any of the recordings on your box and if that doesn't help then a full factory reset will be required.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
mmace
Grafter

I will give that a go in the morning (working evenings), thank you AJ

mmace
Grafter

It's made no difference Sad

Now it's a royal pain to accept terms and set up the box & recordings again as it's barely accepting the commands
Shep41
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just out of curiosity . What TV do you have. I know of lg plasma TVs interfering with remote control signals. Swmbo has a LG plasma TV in her room and my plusnet box will not respond to it's own remote. Strange thing is that I swapped her box for a [-Censored-] talk talk box and it works fine.. mmm very strange.
mmace
Grafter

It's an LG LCD, but even if I take the youview box upstairs to the other aerial it's still the same
Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 1,170

Sorry to hear you're still experiencing problems.

It sounds like we may need to arrange an appointment for a Qube engineer to visit and investigate this.

The quickest way to book this would be to call our TV technical team on 0800 432 0200.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused and please let us know how you get on.

Anoush

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
mmace
Grafter

Would it be free?

The box is only 7-8 months old

I'd have though it would be under warranty and could be swapped out rather than repaired.

Would they be able to fit around my working shifts?
I've already used a full week holiday this year just taking time off for BT to be here numerous times due to the broadband drop-outs

Thanks

Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Unfortunately due to the way we work we need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate this and replace the set top box themselves if deemed appropriate.

As yours is under warranty still, we wouldn't charge you for a new one.

The engineers we arrange for YouView issues are from Qube where the timeslots are 3 hour slots and generally a lot more flexible.

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
mmace
Grafter

08000113217 Wink

Other number is phone/broadband only.

Had to give up for now, waiting for over 20 minutes to get through

Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for flagging that.

I've raised a ticket on your account and we'll see if we can arrange it this way instead.

You can view and reply to my response from here

Hope this helps.

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
mmace
Grafter

Thanks Anoush, I replied on the ticket yesterday afternoon but I don't think anyone has read it yet. I don't want to push, but we're at the stage we're we are just watching the first few channels now as I'm working evenings and my wife has a broken ankle and is having to get up and use the buttons on the box to turn over so she's just not bothering. Any help to speed it up would be appreciated.

Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for replying to the ticket and sorry to hear about the inconvenience this is causing.

Our TV faults team should pick up the ticket shortly, but I'll see what I can do to speed this up.

I'd book the engineer myself but I don't have access to the relevant supplier systems.

I'll get back to you tomorrow about this.

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for waiting. Unfortunately I've been unable to sort this out today, but I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
mmace
Grafter

Still didn't hear anything from anyone.
The box started responding fine yesterday and is ok this morning too.
Must be intermittent, same as my broadband connection!

The TV team need a kick up the bum if it takes them 3 days to respond to a ticket, some of us pay for the extra TV services, my TV experience is ruined by broadband drop outs and now the remote issue.

The ticket can be closed as it's working right now, an engineer would see no problems if they came out now.

Thank you for your help.

Also, as an FYI, email notifications on this forum have never worked since I joined at the end of last year.