Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview+ box, no sound

al6000al
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Youview+ box, no sound

Hi, we have had the Youview+ box for just about 3 weeks now and the idea is that we cancel our Sky subscription once it has proved itself. It has let itself down tonight. The box was working in the day but turning on this evening for ITV HD we had no sound (through hdmi or optical out - not connected by scart so couldn't check). Luckily we were able to watch direct on our TV, but couldn't pause to make a cup of tea (main reason for watching through the box).  We were recording Sherlock on BBC HD, so couldn't reset until that finished at 10.30. The reset does seem to have resolved the sound issue but effectively couldn't use the box all evening.

Is this a known problem with the Youview+ box, or might we have a faulty unit which could simply be replaced? Our Sky HD box is now about 5 years old and probably demonstrated a glitch needing a reset once every 12 months of operation. I can't accept being tied into a contract if the product doesn't perform as reliably as the direct debit which pays for it.

Thanks, Al

Tags (2)
15 REPLIES
DS
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Youview+ box, no sound

You're not alone.

We also witness the loss of sound - our YV box went live 22/23 Dec but wasn't used until 01 Jan.

The workaround we've found is to rewind it back for a few seconds and play it from there until there's a commercial break and then fast forward back to live TV.

However we sometimes also have this on recorded content and again by rewinding it the sound is restored.

Therefore in my opinion this rules out a freeview issue on live TV or indeed an issue whilst it was recording because if the sound was lost during a recording, I really can't see how it would return by rewinding it!

(Plus we came from Sky (TV, home phone and broadband) to Plusnet (moved everything over) and it is starting to look like we made a HUGE mistake).

Hopefully somebody else has found a permanent cure - apart from dumping the YV box.

wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I suspect you have a bad box. I had this problem, along with a few others ( https://community.plus.net/t5/TV/Flaky-YouView-box/td-p/1378832), on my box. It gradually got worse.

I eventually got PlusNet to swap the box for a new one - now I've had just over a week with no issues.

al6000al
Dabbler

Thanks Wisty, 

Sounds like the replacement has fixed your issues, although at the moment we don't really have the pattern of failures that you were seeing. Trouble is, no-one needs hardware issues with a TV product.  It needs to just turn on and work,  for everyone in the family, with no admin or maintenance. There is no way this will survive in our house if it doesn't just work when my wife or the kids sit down to watch something. 

I guess I will keep an eye on it for a bit longer to see if the problem recurs.  It is already less useful that it should be as we won't want to build-up too many recordings on the box if it this one might need to be replaced. 

DS
Pro

@wisty I really do hope the replacement box cures this irritating issue for you

I have notice that it tends to get worse when you put the box through it's paces - checking TV guide - checking settings - checking for updates to channels and apps - even simply pausing it (during a phone call for example) for 5-10 mins and then resuming.

(note- our box wasn't in use for a week, but it was all set up and sitting in standby - it only started to be used after Sky 'killed' off the sat box)

jafreer
Rising Star

Just to add my thoughts. I have had the YV+ box for about 3 months. I ditched Sky shortly after receiving it. I have never experienced loss of sound. That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a box wide issue but I thought I would have experienced it by now if it was. What is the model number of the box that is losing the sound? My box model number is DTR-T2120.

DS
Pro

Same model - DTR-T2120

It happened again today, but only once

(also noticed another issue earlier - hit pause and it did, but then the picture jumped back to a few seconds previouslyHuh )

Have you tweaked and settings? - Just trying to work out if any settings I've changed could be the cause....?

I also have mobile devices registered to it, have you?

jafreer
Rising Star

Haven't really tweaked any settings. I do have a mobile device registered with the box and I have filtered out the channels I don't watch. I can't imagine that would have anything to do with it?

Long shot, but could it be an incompatibility with the TV you are using? I did have audio issues with the HDMI connection on my TV but a firmware update to the TV fixed that. It was nothing to do with the YV box. Just wondered if you can test with a different TV? Like I say, it's a long shot really.

DS
Pro

I too doubt the settings would make a difference, it's just odd how some have issues and some don't.

The TV in use could be a/the reason...? - Already changed HDMI cable and at the moment switched the box to 720p, just to see if anything changes.

All HDMI TV's are mounted on a wall, so trying another would be a taskSad

biggles001
Rising Star

I do not normally use the HD channels, but when switching to BBC 1 HD and others last night,discovered there was no sound.

Going into the box (DTR-2100) settings,I found that at some stage I had changed from stereo to surround,and upon reinstating stereo,all was back to normal.I use the ARC connection on my LG-40LF630V,to a Maxell sound pad,which sounds ok to me,volume could be a little better,but that's not under consideration right now.Maybe this will help someone,with no HD sound,without the hassle of having to go through the usual rigmarole.

DS
Pro

We also rarely use the HD channels either, but I'm pretty sure when we've had this loss of sound it's only on the 'normal' freeview channels*.

*If this only happened during live TV then I could blame the reception, but we've had the loss of sound on recordings too. The coax from the aerial isn't the standard type either - it was upgraded to a satellite grade (can't remember what it's called atm).

Although we also have surround sound available, and it is rigged up to the box, it's never been used yet via the box and thus the sound setting is still as per the default - stereo.

I must admit that before I tuned the remote to the TV, pressing the volume up or down did actually alter the volume coming from the box itself and also popped a volume bar up on the screen. From memory, I think the volume set on the box itself was 89, but don't quote me on that. Obviously since the remote was programmed the volume has reverted to the TV's actual volume with the TV's volume bar is displayed on the screen.

ian4993

I am also experiencing loss of sound when switching from an HD channel to normal or vice versa eg from channel 101 to channel 1. I am also experiencing a quite a lot of pixellation and sound break up, bot on HD and normal channels. The fix I have found for the loss of sound is switch off and switch on, but this obviously takes a few minutes and is very annoying.

jafreer
Rising Star

I am really curious as to what is causing the loss of sound. Enough people are experiencing it to make it an issue, yet some people are not experiencing it at all (like me). I wonder what the common denominator is.

What level of signal strength and signal quality are you obtaining? (the YV box will tell you this).

For example, on BBC1 I have 74% signal strength and 100% signal quality. It is pretty consistent and stable. I just wondered how that compared to those having the sound issues.

DS
Pro

Regarding the pixelation 

When it happens again, go to the Settings -> System Information -> TV Quality Signal and see if the 'bars' are low. Your issue could be a reception issue.

Check these against the HD channels too.

If they are low, or indeed too high, this would indicate either a weak signal or a signal that is too strong as both can cause pixelation. I guess it would contribute to sound issues too.

So far, in my case, this appears not to be the reason.

ian4993

Just done a quick check on signal strength and it is around 70%. Will continue to monitor. Of course, since my original post there has not been a problem!!!