cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview box keeps polling the Internet through the broadband cable.

malser
Hooked

Youview box keeps polling the Internet through the broadband cable.

I have a BT Youview+ box DTR-T2100 bought from John Lewis about 18 months ago (didn't know Plusnet did them!).  It has just started continuously polling the Internet through the broadband cable as if it is downloading.  The two lights on the router (Internet and Etn1) are flashing like crazy!  According to my Internet stats is appears nothing is actually being downloaded.

I’ve done a factory reset (keeping the recordings) and a software reset at least twice.  The factory reset didn’t do anything but the software reset seemed to work.  However, the following morning the lights are flashing continuously again.  I also reset my router, unplugged the broadband and telephone cables and re-connected them.  If you unplug the broadband cable that goes from the Youview box to the router the lights still flash but after a few minutes stop and do not start again.  With the broadband cable disconnected the Youview box rightly reports no Internet access.

I thought it may be a broadband cable problem but I plugged the cable in to my laptop and it works fine, as it does wireless.  So I am stuck for ideas as I do not think it is a router problem.  Apart from that the box works perfectly and records TV programmes with no problem.

15 REPLIES 15
Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 1,148

Re: Youview box keeps polling the Internet through the broadband cable.

Hi there.

It's odd, but if your YouView box and broadband connection work normally to be honest I wouldn't really worry about the internet and ethernet lights flashing.

It could be that the box is doing an update, where are you seeing the internet stats?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I have also noticed this, though the router data traffic logs don't seem to show anything untoward. It is, presumably, another bug in the latest update that's not been picked up by the (non-existent*) youview QA team.

Phil

* no self-respecting QA team would pass a tiled touchscreen interface on a device that clearly will never have one - though that really is the fault of the apparently incompetent design team.

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

My (shop bought) Youview box does the same - not checked when the latest firmware update was but it's only being doing it for the last couple of weeks. Bit distracting given that my router sits in a glass-fronted compartment underneath my TV. Knuppel

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 174

I've a suspicion I know what might be responsible for this. I remember hearing a while back that we were contemplating implementing an always on, very low bitrate multicast stream for the purpose of quality monitoring. BT do similar on their network. I wonder if we can temporarily disable it to prove the assumption?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

malser
Hooked

Thanks for replying.  I just look at the Plusnet stats under 'View My Usage' but I don't know how reliable they are anymore (says Plusnet), but I don't think anything is being transmitted up or down.  Others have commented it could be due to a recent box software upgrade (within the last month) as others have the same problem as me, and one person says it may be that BT may be collecting stats!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I doubt you'd notice anything under 'View My Usage', for a couple of reasons:

1. As mentioned, the test stream is very low bitrate, we're talking KB's per second, so it would be almost indistiguishable amidst the other background traffic on your network.
  2. Multicast traffic does not pass through Plusnet's DPI kit, and it's very likely that's where 'View My Usage' is getting its data from for your line.

@Kelly, you able to add anything? Might I be barking up the wrong tree?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

It does sound like the always on stream to me.  Because that comes from kit within the network, you wouldn't see it on VMBU.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
JayG
Pro

FWIW I did notice the polling had stopped at 0500 this morning, although it's back to its normal flickering now.

Not going to stay up 24/7 staring at my router to find out exactly when it stops and starts the activity though! Roll_eyes

Jaggies
Community Veteran

Mine is doing this too, and has been for a while. Are we all being made part of a CDN, I wonder?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The reason is described in post 5.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

malser
Hooked

Thanks bobpullen.  I think your explanation settles the problem.  It was good to see others have observed the same constant flashing on their router.  I have noticed that during the early hours of the morning that the flashing stops.  I've put that down to the fact that the Youview box goes into its "deep sleep" for a few hours during the night and so it does not get polled by the Internet during that time.

I think we will just have to live with it.  As I have said before, it does not affect anything at all with how the box records, etc.  Maybe BT will get wind of this constant polling and do something about but it may well be intentional on their part anyway!

JayG
Pro

Intentional or not, the digital age has become potentially risky for the unwary, so it would be helpful to know what this polling is trying to achieve.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's for proactive monitoring, and is intended to spot geographical trends and the like that might be affecting our customers' use of the service. e.g. the monitors might detect that they're seeing loss/degradation of service on certain test streams. We could then correlate the monitors with the lines they're associated with and help determine whether or not there's a service-wide issue we need to investigate further. Make sense?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

JayG
Pro

Thanks for the explanation @bobpullen.

It would be a distinct improvement if it were a bit more 'intelligent' - the polling stops when the box is in deep sleep overnight, but continues throughout the day even when asleep (smart standby mode) - surely there is no activity to monitor when it's asleep?