cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview box failed - some questions regarding replacement please

rubble3
Grafter

Youview box failed - some questions regarding replacement please

My Plusnet YV box has failed as of this morning ( can't even get into maintenance mode).

As I understand it I can get a replacement box from PN for £57.95. Couple of questions please :-

My contract runs until July this year, if I pay for a replacement box does this in some way trigger a contract renewal/extension?

Secondly, my current box is over four years old, therefore I understand it belongs to me and I assume that PT will not want it returned to them. If I purchase a new box from PN and then decide not to renew my contract in July what would happen to the new box they have supplied? As I have paid for it I assume that I keep that as well but the new box will have been supplied with only a few months contract time left on it so would PN require it's return at contract end?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Youview box failed - some questions regarding replacement please

Hi @rubble3 

I'd imagine for that money, (near enough £60) the box is not leased so you own it and it is your property and can keep it.

It is only when the box is replaced for free that the box usually stays as company property. Then they will want it back.

The other thing to consider is if you decide not to renew your contract what uses it has outside PlusNet. I am thinking of locking. If not then you'd have the option of keep using it elsewhere or selling it (assuming it is your property).

I don't use PlusNet TV so take what I say with a big pinch of salt. I also can't see them wanting a 4 year old broken box back. All they're going to do is throw it in the bin like you will.

Someone will know better than me and will respond 😃

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Youview box failed - some questions regarding replacement please

I took one of those Youview boxes apart once (I had used it on a trial).

I thought it might be based around a PC style setup.

It wasn't.

It did have a hard disk - but this had some non-standard connectors.

So I binned the whole thing.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."