cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview+ box - USB port and WiFi connectivity

Community Veteran

Youview+ box - USB port and WiFi connectivity

I'm planning to subscribe to Plusnet TV soon, and connect the box wirelessly using my BL-MP01 WiFi micro router. This device requires a powered USB port for power. Can someone confirm whether the Youview+ box has a powered USB port?
Note that I currently use the device for connecting my Sky+ box, and it works just fine. The link below has more details about it.
http://www.sky-anytime-plus.co.uk/mp.pdf
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Youview+ box - USB port?

Interesting looking gadget.  Cool
The instructions you link to suggest a YouView box would have a suitable USB port, but if not, the device illustrations suggest they could be powered by a phone charger or similar (always assuming you had a spare power socket, of course).
Fixes: 101

does it work with multicast though? 
Will Moderate For Thanks
matt_2k34
Grafter

Hi Smiley
This is kind of an old thread, but over a TT Forums it appears someone tried to use this with their YV TV Box -and couldn't due to multicast issues here
That's old, so could be irrelevant, but might be worth keeping in mind.
Community Veteran

Thanks all so far. I've been doing some googling since the comment about multicast and had found that same TT thread. There's a few other hits as well which have left me uncertain whether this will work or not. The TT forums suggest there's a "TP Link TL-WR702N 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router" that should work, so my backup plan will be to get one of those if the MP01 doesn't work. I just hope my TP-Link 9980 Router does the necessary with multicast over WiFi...
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: Youview+ box - USB port and WiFi connectivity

What about home-plugs? I'm assuming you'll have a plug socket available at the destination for the tv (a lot do "passthrough" - i.e. you can plug something else in through them)
I'd have thought that'd be more likely - but as always it'd be worth double checking Smiley
Community Veteran

I guess that's plan C. With the TV, soundbar, Blueray, Wii, and STB, I already have a lot of socket demand in "TV corner". I gather that the powerline ethernet adapters don't work so well in 4-way strips either...
PeeGee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Powerline adapters work fine in power strips provided they are not filtered, as the filtering "filters" the signalling Shocked
The W9980 is fine with multicast over wifi - I used an Edimax EW-7416 to test this.
Phil
Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link TD-W9980 modem-router.
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: fishyweb
The TT forums suggest there's a "TP Link TL-WR702N 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router" that should work, so my backup plan will be to get one of those if the MP01 doesn't work. I just hope my TP-Link 9980 Router does the necessary with multicast over WiFi...

I have a TP Link TL-WR702N  - it does NOT handle the multicast channels (at least I have never managed to make it work). I find it difficult on the TT or BT forums to decide whether posters can actually differentiate between "on-demand" (unicast) channels and the true IPTV (multicast) when they claim a particular piece of kit works with "internet channels"
What I use is a TP Link TL-WA890EA, which most definitely does work with my TP Link Archer C8. It can use either 2.4Ghz or 5GHz (I have given it exclusive use of the 5Ghz band). It also has 4 x 10/100 ethernet ports. Streaming of the IPTV channels is excellent. The occasional sound glitch, usually on adverts, I think may be down to the incoming stream rather than my internal network arrangements
(My TL-702N now serves my Onkyo receiver)
Community Veteran

Thanks, that is very useful to know. A WA890EA will now be my Plan B if MP01 doesn't work.
Question for you - can it be powered from the USB port on the YV box?
beeceegee
Rising Star

Question for you - can it be powered from the USB port on the YV box?

Power socket IS a micro-usb; however from the TL-WA890EA instructions:
Can I power on TL-WA890EA by connecting it to a nearby device via the USB cable?
Sorry, you cannot. We strongly suggest you only use the power adapter attached in the package for power supply, as the entertainment adapter TL-WA890EA may not gain enough power supply from other devices.

Unit spec sheet says the power unit is 5V / 1amp; so I'm guessing it might work depending on the output of the YV usb port.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-2326_TL-WA890EA.html#specifications
(I've got mine fixed to the wall some way from the TV area to get better line-of-sight to the router, so can't try it myself )
Community Veteran

Well, I've just set up the Youview+ box and can confirm that the MP01 appears not to support multicast. No huge surprise there. I've now ordered a TP-LINK TL-WA890EA to cover this, so thanks for the idea about that.
Community Veteran

TP-LINK TL-WA890EA now installed (very easy, and powered from a USB socket on the TV) and successfully watching IPTV wirelessly from the TD-W9980 router. And so much cheaper than the powerline solution sold by PN! Very happy. :-)
Now looking forward to evicting Murdoch's box from under the tele once my notice period is up (or once my OH has got used to the PNTV setup).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You do realise that the Sky box works as a freesat from Sky box when you cancel your Sky subscription. I've kept mine for local TV programmes because my Freesat feed is from a distant transmitter rather than the local repeater  Smiley
Also I can get welsh rugby as well
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
beeceegee
Rising Star

TP-LINK TL-WA890EA now installed (very easy, and powered from a USB socket on the TV) and successfully watching IPTV wirelessly from the TD-W9980 router. And so much cheaper than the powerline solution sold by PN! Very happy. :-)

Excellent! And good to know it an be powered from a usb socket - if I ever need to free up a mains socket, or the psu blows I can run it off the telly.