cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview and nowtv

candell
Grafter

Youview and nowtv

Hi, I received a letter from Sky today informing me of another price increase so am looking at alternatives. I currently have a 1TB Sky + box which to be honest is great, we barely watch live TV. Our only reason for being with Sky is for a few Sky One and Sky Atlantic shows.

I was thinking of switching to youview and using now tv for sky one and atlantic. 

My noob questions;

1. Is there a now tv app on the youview box?
  2. can we record from now tv to the youview box?
  3. on youview, say we usually record xxx at 9pm but recording isn't possible, is the latest episode available on demand from nowtv?
  4. how is the youview epg?
  5. are there any other better ways of having the few sky programs we like but not having sky? As I mentioned I can;t remember the last time we watched live tv, we usually let sky+ record and watch when we like.

Thanks for any help, I know some of the questions are now tv questions so hope they are ok to ask here as I'd be teaming it up with the youview box.

6 REPLIES 6
DS
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Youview and nowtv

Wait for others to offer their opinion, but:

If you really like your S+box, you may not be so thrilled with the YV+ box initially. It ain't that bad, but only has a 500GB drive.

1) Yes there is a NTV App Smiley, though I've never used it Sad

2) I don't think you can Undecided as never used it. I'm sure the record function is only for recording live (via the aerial) TV.

3) As above, I don't think you can record from an App. They are sent via the internet connection, not via the aerial. When we had NTV, which was years ago now, we did notice that some shows were on Sky first, before they came to NTV. This may have changed..?

4) We find it pretty good tbh.

5) Illegally then probably. Legally then afaik it's Sky or NowTV. (VM will do them too)

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 28

Hi @candell

Thanks for getting in touch regarding Youview and Now TV.

I have investigated these questions and have responded below.

1. There is a Now TV app on Youview

2. You cannot record from the Now TV app currently

3. The Now TV app currently only supports cinema passes, details of this can be found here

4. Youview EPG is very user friendly

5. we wouldn't be able to provide too much more insight to your options unfortunately

I hope this has been useful and please let us know if you need more assistance.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Warwick
 Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 593

@DS wrote:

2) I don't think you can Undecided as never used it. I'm sure the record function is only for recording live (via the aerial) TV.

That's incorrect - the PN extra channels (e.g. BT Sport) are all IPTV and can be recorded.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DS
Champion
Fixes: 22

Silly me!!Embarrassed

I'd actually forgot you can record the IP channels. I remember now as 1) you corrected me Thumbs Up and 2) when we had entertainment+ channels we got cheesed off when they failed Cry to record when our connection dropped Ticked off!

BERTJ
Rising Star

Hi 

l invested in a chromecast device from argos £30.

This allows you to stream channels via your mobile or tablet onto your tv and it works very well.

You can also stream Bt Sport app provided you invest in it £5 pm onto your tv and that is in hd as standard.

You can stream Now tv, youtube etc. Just download the apps onto your phone or tablet.

Handy little kit and very simple to install just plug in chromecast into a spare hdmi slot on your ty and plug into electric and it loads itself.

good luck

candell
Grafter

Thanks for all of the replies, from these and my research it seems that replicating what I have isn't possible which is why Sky charge a hefty fee. I have canceled sky but retained the use of the box to give us time to watch all of the [-Censored-] programmes on there.