cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview TV via fttp

Kawasaki
Dabbler

Re: Youview TV via fttp

Well after writing a letter complaining about not being able to get Youview on FTTP seeing a friend of mine already has it on FTTP on the same telephone exchange,, and their ads do not make it clear that they don't offer it on FTTP,  I have now succeeded in getting it. It seems that seeing the FTTP is on trial, they are reluctant to supply Youview. I've now got all I require, British Eurosport and BT Sport all in HD so really happy. So far it has performed perfectly, no buffering at all. Lets hope they consider making the FTTP permanent and plus Youview.

alanlimb

Hi Kawasaki

I have just found your posts on this thread as I am in the same situation as you were last year.

I have been a PlusNet customer for 4 years. We recently moved to rural West Wales and I placed my order for fibre at our new home in advance so we could sign up for a Youview + box once connected. PlusNet took my order, having first checked that fibre was available at our new address and all seemed well. Having moved, we found out that FTTC wasn't available from PlusNet because the property was too remote. Furthermore, I was assured that FTTP was not available from PlusNet.

Thankfully I was able to find someone helpful at PlusNet who mentioned the FTTP trial which we were accepted for, again so we could get a Youview+ box once connected. Openreach switched on our fibre yesterday and we are enjoying the luxury of superfast broadband. Having contacted PlusNet today to order Youview+, I am disappointed to learn from them that, "Our systems are not designed to offer the service." I am told that PlusNet's Youview software does not allow customers to connect to it via FTTP.

Clearly this is not the case, based on your experience. I would really like to remain a PlusNet customer and not have to go elsewhere. If you don't mind could you please explain who at PlusNet responded to your letter of complaint and arranged for you to be connected to Youview? This might help me persuade PlusNet to do the same for me. I did refer to your post in my conversation with them today, without success. However, I hope that this is something else at PlusNet that is possible but not many people know about.

Many thanks, in advance, for your help.

Alan

Kawasaki
Dabbler

Hello Alan,

I've managed to find the letter I had from Plusnet and it was from Matt Wright. I think the problem was that I was, and presume still am, on trials FTTP unlimited fibre, although that is not mentioned on my billing that's it's on trial. I explained on my letter, a friend across town was also on trials but was also on trials TV so it did work. He said that if I was willing to take the risk of it working properly or not, they would connect me so a few days later my box arrived and connected with no problem. I mainly wanted it for BT Sport and Eurosport for the bike racing and I've also got it in HD.

I've been on it for well over a year now and it's performed perfectly, no drop outs whatsoever, so I just can't understand why they are not rolling it out for all, it seems as if they want to loose customers. My friend has had little problem either, I think his did freeze and had to be rebooted but it also works fine. According to the Openreach technician who installed my fibre, BT are not offering FTTC in many places now, so it should be in the interest of Plusnet to get their act together and get it up and running properly on FTTP. I've been with Plusnet,originally Freeonline, for all the time I've been on the internet, that's well over 20 years back in dial up days, and always found the service good. Like you, I would not want to move to another provider,

Hope that helps and good luck with getting Youview.

Trevor

alanlimb

Hello Trevor

Many thanks for replying so promptly.

The detail you have provided is really useful. Hopefully it will help me achieve the same outcome with PlusNet. I am happy to take the risk that it might not work perfectly all the time. This is still preferable to taking my custom elsewhere.

Best wishes

Alan