cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview TV via fttp

Kawasaki
Hooked

Youview TV via fttp

Having just had a conversation with the TV sales department, I am disappointed that I cannot have Youview on my fttp trial yet a friend who is on the same exchange as me and also on fttp trial has it. I've been informed that it's incompatible to fttp which is strange. Seeing the advert for TV says I need either Unlimited Fibre or Unlimited Fibre Extra, the latter is what I have, I would have thought it should be available. There is no mention on the TV ad that it is not available to fttp, but only to fttc. Perhaps this should be made clear on your TV advert. I upgraded to fibre with the intent of having TV, in fact, I emphasised that was the reason I wanted fibre when applying, and there was no mention then that it could not be provided otherwise I would have kept to ADSL until such time that it was. Perhaps Plusnet needs to have this situation clarified before more make the same decision to upgrade. I hope Plusnet can make Youview available to fttp asap as I need it for BT Sport and British Eurosport, and keep a loyal subscriber of over 20 years to freeonline/plusnet a happy person.

Thanks.

15 REPLIES
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Re: Youview TV via fttp

My response on Facebook:

Hi Trevor,

Unfortunately, as we're still trialling FTTP, there is still lack of clarity on whether TV is available with the service or not. The truth is that YouView *is* compatible, however our current internal systems cannot support it.

Apologies for the confusion, though I hope that this at least clarifies things. ^MC

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Kawasaki
Hooked

Thanks for clarifying Matty, perhaps by me bringing this up it may hurry things up to get it going, or whether I could downgrade to fttc if they decide not to enable it. It's a shame as I'm now paying extra for a service that I don't really need, I was getting up to 14Mb/s on ADSL which served me well. I wanted to be up and running for the start of the motorcycle race season at the end of Feb on British Eurosport and later for Motogp on BT Sport and have it in HD instead of poor quality internet streaming.

Trevor.

Kawasaki
Hooked

Seeing you cannot provide Youview via my trials FTTP which was my sole reason for applying for FTTP and CLEARLY stated by me on my application for FTTP that I wanted it for that purpose, but not advised by you at the time that it was not available on FTTP, and you seem to have no plan to make it available, how can I terminate my contract and at NO cost? Unfortunately with all the exchanges between you and me regarding whether I could or could not have Youview, I was not able to cancel the contract within the 14 day cooling down period. One minute, I was told I could not have it, then on another email a few days later, I was told you could offer it, then after Christmas, I could not have it. It's just been a shambles.

I applied in all faith on reading the misleading advert for Youview which states simply that all that was needed was Unlimited Fibre or Unlimited Fibre Extra, the latter was supplied to me on the fibre so I thought it was ok. If it was stated on your ad that it was only available to FTTC which is not available in my area, I would not have applied.

My only option to get the TV channels that I require ie BT Sport and British Eurosport for the motorcycle racing, is to go to your parent company BT. Unless BT would require me to change my phone line to them, I'm quite happy to remain with you.

Regards,

Trevor

Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

My only option to get the TV channels that I require ie BT Sport and British Eurosport for the motorcycle racing, is to go to your parent company BT.

If BT can provide TV over FTTP then, as Matty indicated above, that would seem to confirm that there isn't a technical problem providing it, since the PN product is basically the same as the BT product. Seems like it's the system says No, and so we can't do it. Given the fact that most things to do with FTTP provision are handled manually by PN I fail to see why some suitably experienced PN staff can't add TV to an FTTP account...

Kawasaki
Hooked

Well MisterW, I've been banging on about this ever since I took out their trial FTTP and clearly stated that I wanted it for Youview on my application, but they did not inform me then, that they don't offer it on FTTP. I agree that it should be able to be done seeing a friend of mine just across town from me,  and on the same exchange, also has the trials FTTP and also trials Youview, so as you say, it can be done. It's a short sighted move not to provide this service on FTTP as most of the fibre in my town, and no doubt may other towns, is now is only FTTP, hardly any FTTC is being installed according to my friend who works for Outreach and was one who did the installation.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

@Kawasaki as an ex BT employee, and Sky customer. I had a similar dilemma when I left BT, my free BT TV was no longer available, Sky prices were increasing again, so I looked at options. Freest helped with some of the things I wanted to watch, Eurosport player helped with WSB and BSB, but BT Sports monopoly with MotoGP is harder, but not impossible to get around!

Kawasaki
Hooked

I agree, Mustrum, there are ways around it which I do have like Eurosport Player which is very good, but I really like to have the facility to record if I'm out in the summer on my bike and also I prefer it in HD. Youview will do all I want. I just want to upgrade from the way I watch now to a better way. Also, I don't really want to leave PN as I've had excellent service from them for many years both on phone and internet.

Looking on the list of the roll out of fibre across the country, PN are silly not to consider it, as there are a lot of areas where it's only FTTC but many like my own where it's FTTC and FTTP.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Not sure what the longer term plans are, but up till now BT haven't rolled out much FTTP so I assume it has just remained in trial as demand has been low.

As BT roll more and more FTTP out I assume plusnet will move the trial to launched with support for their wider products.

All you need from FTTP is it supporting multicast in your area to get the channels, but as FTTP doesn't always have a telephone number associated with the line if internal Plusnet systems order BT sport against a broadband line / its telephone number it could be a simple fix that they need to do against a service ID etc, but if demand is low the focus is on things like mobile launch etc.

Kawasaki
Hooked

What's annoying me about Plusnet I mentioned in my first posting. Their ad for Youview plainly says, you need Unlimited Fibre or Unlimited Fibre Extra, so as I knew it was the only way to get fibre, I applied for FTTP as it's the only fibre available in my area and also clearly stated that I wanted it for Youview, but they did not advise me that it was not available on the trials FTTP. Their ad says nothing that it's only available on FTTC or I would not have gone for it. I'm now paying for a service that's much more than I need and of course, more costly.

I could have BT Infinity and their TV service with no problem, that's available at my location. If I knew what I know now, I would have gone that way in the first place but up to now, I've always had good service from them, so did not want to leave. I'm going to investigate the possibility of migrating to BT seeing they own Plusnet.

It's no wonder demand is low if this is the way they are going to carry on.

sarczoid
Grafter

This entire situation in the UK is a complete joke.

BT should have been forced to rollout FTTP by now, but Ofcom are useless... probably taking backhanders.....

PlusNet: your FTTP "trial" has been in "trial" stage for over two years now, why haven't you concluded this trial and why aren't you offering it to customers? the speed of progress is pathetic

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Why should bt be forced to roll out fttp? Why not virgin or someone else? 

If openreach 'have' to do it the  its just going on our line rental... bt wont do it for free

Im guessing as plusnet aims at the value end of the market that means fttp isnt likely to be mass market for them to focus on?

sarczoid
Grafter

Why invent any improvements for the common good of the economy or the people of this country.

We are so short sighted.

BT Make a killing and we are still using their 40 year old copper for our internet. They should be forced to roll out Fibre to the house.

Not everyone lives in a cabled area.

Kawasaki
Hooked

What annoyed me sarczoid was the fact that they stated that to get Youview, you needed either Unlimited Fibre or Unlimited Fibre extra on their adverts for the TV service so I went ahead and got fibre to the premises. On phoning to get Youview, I got told I could not have it as it was only available to fibre to the cabinet, but there was no mention of that in their advert, so as far as I'm concerned, it's misleading advertising.

I've made several complaints as a friend of mine in the same town as me and on the same exchange has got youview with fttp albeit the trials TV. So if it's available to him, it must be available to anyone. They just don't seem to care. As you say, surely it should be for the common good.

Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I am sorry for your Kawasaki

IPTV in the BT incarnation requires multicast that is only possible on FTTC as the FFTP are dedicated line you would need a different technology like virgin

You can still watch BT sport through the application or chromecast or airplay unfortunately the BT TV app does not support either of...