cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview 2.0

KevinG
Grafter

Youview 2.0

When will Plusnet users be getting this - as part of the BT roll-out next month? How about Plusnet users who still have the box, but no active subscription?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/youview-next-generation-hands-on

20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Youview 2.0

Interesting
that link shows
Every YouView box is being upgraded

So at some point they should be.
Fixes: 115

I still have my box as part of the 2012 trial so it's good news that that should be updated as well and should be able to handle the new software.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Will it be an automatic upgrade or will we be able to choose whether or not to install it?

We're quite happy to have our recordings stored on our YouView box HDD in our house.

We have no interest whatsoever in being able to watch recordings while we're out & about.

PeeGee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Now we know why they changed teletext to some unusable graphical system - so they could justify this new "pretty" system instead of a fully functional one.

Phil

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link TD-W9980 modem-router.
KevinG
Grafter

caravanj wrote:

We're quite happy to have our recordings stored on our YouView box HDD in our house  

They will still be stored on the HDD, you don't have to use the new features if you don't want to.

KevinG
Grafter

PeeGee wrote:

Now we know why they changed teletext to some unusable graphical system - so they could justify this new "pretty" system instead of a fully functional one.

I can't see that there is any connection between the two things. You can still use the text if you go to a Radio channel and the text button may even be fixed in the new version, we don't know yet.

PeeGee
Aspiring Pro

The connection is the "script kiddie" graphical interface designed for MPAs which takes much longer to navigate. I suspect the Freesat teletext interface will go the same way as they have converted that to work as did the less efficient freeview version before its demise - and the freeview radio version is now worse than the preceding version with its change of back/close button functions.

They probably haven't looked at the bug which stops the HDMI power control working properly. If you haven't noticed, power is present whenever there is power to the box except for "smart standby" state changes, when there is a short dropout causing any connected device to switch HDMI input to a connection without a video signal. As a result, turning the box fully on frequently results in the DRM message on top of the programme you cannot watch - after you manually change input!

Phil

MPA - Mobile Phone Addict

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
caravanj
Aspiring Pro

@KevinG

Thanks for the info I like new technology but sometimes I stick to "if it ain't broke etc." especially if it's just for watching & recording the telly.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

@PeeGee

"They probably haven't looked at the bug which stops the HDMI power control working properly. If you haven't noticed, power is present whenever there is power to the box except for "smart standby" state changes, when there is a short dropout causing any connected device to switch HDMI input to a connection without a video signal. As a result, turning the box fully on frequently results in the DRM message on top of the programme you cannot watch - after you manually change input!"

That explains why I quite often have to switch the box on & off before I get a picture.

The box doesn't automatically switch to it's HDMI input so would it help if I turned on the box hefore manually switching to it's HDMI input?

PeeGee
Aspiring Pro

If the TV is on and set to receive the box output, turning on the box should work as expected. It is only if the TV is set to some other input that the error message may appear.

Phil

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

@PeeGee

Thanks for replying.

We have 4 HDMI devices connected to the TV.

A satellite receiver to input 1 & the YV box to input 2 & an HDMI hub to input 3.

None of the devices switch on the HDMI inputs automatically but apart from the YV box they all display picture & sound as soon as they are turned on & the HDMI input has been manually actvated.

It's not a huge issue but it does mean that we can miss the first few bits of a programme if we leave it to the last minute, when we have to turn the YV box on & off two or three times before we get a picture.

PembsPanther
Grafter

So then, any news or even confirmation on when this update might or even will happen?

biggles001
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It can take as long as it likes,so long as the bugs are sorted out,I am happy to continue using the existing system.

PembsPanther
Grafter

No bugs my end has worked flawlessly since day 1.........