cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yourview

djmillsy83

Yourview

I don't have an outside aerial at home and I still want to get your view is it possible I still get normal TV through my sky box
11 REPLIES
agedgopher
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Yourview

Simple answer is no.

There are 2 options to receive Freeview, one is down the aerial. The other option is to take Freesat through a set top box with the signal coming via your satellite dish.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

You can have YV BUT you will not get the TV channels without an aerial.
You can still get the PN sub channels which are delivered via the net. (needs an ethernet connection to the router)
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 6

You also won't get some of the OD players unless you do a terrestrial scan.

Trying to remember which were affected now, but All4 I think was one of them.
djmillsy83

I use the fire stick for the on demand stuff
djmillsy83

I will still keep my sky box for the free view channels in till I can ascertain Wether the aerial on the roof of the house works
timjinx

This is going to become more and more of an issue. People live in premises not suitable for a UHF TV aerial, and rely on satellite for their TV. Youview as offered by BT and PlusNet has nothing to offer in this situation. Surely it wouldn't be too hard to create a YouView Freesat box, with regular TV provided by satellite and the additional channels over broadband. 

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

There are Freesat+ boxes available that receive the usual channels and give the ability to record. Newer boxes have the addition of Freetime which gives access to the on demand players such as BBC iplayer, ITV player etc.

rkaur
Dabbler

why dont you purchase a indoor aerial? it works perfectly for me

timjinx

We live out in the sticks. We need a good aerial on a long pole.
Community Veteran

Our reception was terrible - we needed a loft aerial combined with an amplifier to get anything like a signal. We tried this http://www.screwfix.com/p/slx-compact-3-in-1-omni-directional-aerial/49341 on an external wall, only 8 feet off the ground.

It's brilliant! Grin No picture break up at all. And it is so unobtrusive too.

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

@rogadodge

Well done. I remember many years ago on a service call in Derbyshire with an aerial contractor trying to get a signal at a property. After many hours of longer and longer poles attached to the chimney, masthead amplifiers and at the set side an additional amplifier, we were forced to give up. In frustration  the aerial man launched the aerial and pole from the rooftop and it landed in the garden peeping over a low hedge. Over 40 years later that aerial is still sitting in the same position still peering over the hedge and has been joined by another one, presumably for signal to another room.

Just goes to show that with tv reception don't always expect the expected.