cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouView makeover...

Justme
Dabbler

YouView makeover...

According to the just received email, YouView is getting a makeover. Is it really...? it's not the box or reception that needs a 'shiny new look', it's the remote control. It's frustrating, irritating and downright fiddly to use. Hands up all those who hit the wrong button more often than not... As a piece of usable, ergonomic design it's an absolute disaster. As it stands mashing the buttons with a clenched fist is just as likely to achieve the desired selection. Any chance of updating that for something 'shiny', as well. please?

16 REPLIES
jafreer
Rising Star

Re: YouView makeover...

I did partially share your view of the remote when I first got the box but I have to say I have no issues with it now and find it quite easy to use.

One option you have if you really hate it that much is to find a universal remote you like the layout of, and use that. I have a Logitech Harmony 650 remote that is very programmable and you can program any button on it to replicate any command. That is another option. I still prefer to use the supplied remote over the Harmony for the PN box.

Justme
Dabbler

Thank you for that; I must admit a programmable controller hadn't crossed my mind and could be a solution. The biggest gripe with the PN remote is that the channel select; information; OK; back, volume and mute buttons are all so closely positioned that they are indistinguishable by touch alone and have to be carefully pressed to ensure correct selection, as opposed to a Sky remote, for example, which is a much more user friendly design. 

PeeGee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I totally agree that the "double ring" around the "OK" button is an ergonomic disaster. However, I believe that will be the least of your worries when the new "touch screen mobile phone" interface* gets implemented, especially as the number of button presses will increase astronomically to get anything useful done and the remote will wear out in a couple of months (I exaggerate slightly for effect).

Phil

* Why is it that every bit of OS consumer software since Windows 10 has to have a smart-phone compatible UI?

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link TD-W9980 modem-router.
biggles001
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Why is it that every bit of OS consumer software since Windows 10 has to have a smart-phone compatible UI?

probably because they can't put their phones down !!

SilverArt
Hooked

I got that email a few days ago but nothing has happened yet, Mind you would I know as I can't find any info on what the makeover is going to do for us, any offers?

Art

cegueira
Hooked

Have a look at the official Youview forum to see the reception the update is getting.

If you want to avoid it I have created a thread with the measures I'm taking to hopefully avoid it for the time being.

https://community.plus.net/t5/TV/Avoiding-NextGen-update/td-p/1425847
SilverArt
Hooked

Thank you, I'll go and investigate. The challenge for me as a PlusNet Customer was that I read it as "Your (PlusNet) YouView box is getting a little update, so we can bring you a faster, smarter viewing experience." (i.e. PlusNet claiming the credit). whereas, "YouView is updating its service see .. link. for further information" would have made much more sense to me. Perhaps Marketing needs a nudge, or perhaps I need to forget the old fashioned principle of being treated as the Customer by the supplier of the service. (i.e. who I pay for it.).. Thanks again for the heads up.

Art

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

There was a thread about this a few months ago when the new GUI was announced, Don't really like it, but like everything else these days has to be mobile/app friendly. Don't know why as I rarely use my phone!
poppy123
Dabbler

My box was working fine on Friday evening. Saturday evening first time I used the box since Friday remote wont work. Can only control volume on tv and select which input of i want hdmi1/2/3 etc. Rang up plusnet went through reset remote, try 2 sets of new batteries. Reset box talking through from support did that twice as first time didnt go through scan channels. Then reset remote several times wont work at all despite blue led light flashing. Today wife watching youview and remote slightly working but very sluggish, it was even worse when i tried it. Having a new remote coming but just happens to have gone when box update. I have to use control on box to get any response and noticed it had been updated

jafreer
Rising Star

It sounds to me like it may be more the box than the remote as it seems too coincidental for the remote problem to happen at the same time as the software update.

I think a few people had to a maintenance mode 4 reset of the box after the firmware update to resolve various issues.

If you google the latest Youview update, you will find the forums where some people are having similar issues. I am just waiting with baited breath for my box to update any time soon. Then we will see what issues (if any) I might have.

poppy123
Dabbler

It seems odd this has happened since update as I checked on friday when it was working fine and no update yet on saturday update had already been applied. Although I cant rule out it was just a coincidence

PeeGee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

HairyMcbiker wrote:
There was a thread about this a few months ago when the new GUI was announced, Don't really like it, but like everything else these days has to be mobile/app friendly. Don't know why as I rarely use my phone!

It is just stupidity to the fore - having a touch screen GUI for a system that is very unlikely to have the capability. Why add a touch screen to a TV - or even a monitor in excess of 17"?*

Phil

* or are they trying to give people an incentive to exercise by having to get out of the chair to poke the TV screen instead of using a remote control?

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link TD-W9980 modem-router.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@PeeGee you could poke my tv all day long, all you would get would be a sore finger ;-)
cfjwallis

Is there any way to return to the old user interface?  The navigation on the new one is very poor and too bulky due to the graphics?  I would much prefer the old menu-style view.  Does anyone know if it's possible to get the old version back?