cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouView/fibre

Shetland
Dabbler

YouView/fibre

Please can someone explain why Plusnet only allow YouView to customers who have fibre?  TalkTalk offer it to unlimited ADSL users so why is it different for Plusnet?  I have just learned of a TT customer who is having a free YouView+ box  and free set up (£50 from PN).  Monthly payment is only  £2 per month for the service. The person is on ADSL, not fibre.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: YouView/fibre

Quote from: Shetland
Please can someone explain why Plusnet only allow YouView to customers who have fibre?
By "allow" do you mean "sell" or "supply" with access to the additional internet channels?
I'm a PlusNet customer on standard ADSL2+ and have two Youview boxes that I bought independently. They work fine and all the "standard" online/internet services work too but obviously not the "locked" services.
(I also have two FreeSat boxes that also have Internet access for catchup etc. plus various other devices such as iPad's with similar capabilities)
I'd guess that the bandwidth/quality requirements of the internet channels are such that PN doesn't want to get involved in performance debates with customers on non-fibre lines that may be marginal on throughput, especially if other activity is running at the same time.
mfdaustrey

I have just moved. I'm using my BT You view box because Plusnet won't supply TV as I don't have fibre. The only problem has been a little buffering. I am getting about 7mbs though. I see why they would not want to annoy people by selling TV to those on only 1mbs.
sarczoid
Grafter

To be fair, I think plusnet have done this correctly.
you need a good 12-14mb connection for a stable HD Multicast stream, never mind any other internet unicast traffic that may be required from other boxes / devices etc.
talktalk will sell anything to anyone for a profit, regardless of user experience or quality.