cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouView box and freeview picture breakup

smokane
Dabbler

YouView box and freeview picture breakup

I suffer frequent picture breakup when watching freeview channels via the youview box. I appreciate that there are many factors at play (aerial itself, HDMI leads etc), so I set out to isolate the problem to see if it lies with the youview box.

I have a tv where I can display both a hdmi input (youview box) and the tv source at the same time, i.e. picture in picture mode. 

I have my aerial going into the youview box and then use the aerial out on the youview box to feed the tv. Hence the tv is displaying freeview channels via the hdmi output of the youview box, and the aerial directly.

The picture that corresponds to the aerial is perfect whereas at the same time the picture that corresponds to the hdmi output of the youview box is prone to breakup. Monitoring signal strength via the youview box shows both the quality and strength drop to 0 during breakup, yet the aerial generated picture is unaffected - the strength and quality of the aerial generated picture both remain high.

I have also tried power recycling youview box on a daily basis, but that has not helped. Internet channels on youview box are perfect which also means it's not a hdmi lead problem. 

I also note that during any breakup, the blue light on the youview box flashes rapidly. 

I think the above demonstrates that the problem lies with the youview box itself. 

A quick forum search and google search of humax boxes shows I am not alone with this problem.

Is it possible to get a replacement box? 

Thanks

16 REPLIES
Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: YouView box and freeview picture breakup

YouView boxes are prone to interference. I had a similar issue with my home alarm PIR I had to move the sensor and occasionally would still break up.

A replacement box would not improve matters. I have found the best box in terms of interference is the talk talk Huawei DN372T is  bigger and a bit slow compared to the new gen YouView BT/PN box but it is much more solid

Is your aerial outdoor or in the loft and what is your signal quality strength when it works on the yourview box?

smokane
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply. Guess interference cannot really be avoided in the modern house. 

Is the Huawei box notably better?

It is an outdoor aerial. Strength is about 55% and quality is always 100%

Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

55% is a bit low for the youview box. If the aerial is correctly aligned you can try a masthead amplifier
Also make sure your aerial os appropriate for your zone a wideband aerial picks up more interference than others
Find your aerial zone on ukfreetv
smokane
Dabbler

As explained above, the aerial signal fed directly into the television works perfectly - the problem is with the youview+ box.

In any case, there already is a mast-head amplifier in the attic. If the youview+ requires additional hardware beyond that which I already have for it to work correctly, well I am afraid to say that I do not think it is fit for purpose.

Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

A masthead amplifier will be on the aerial mast maybe you have an aerial distribution box for multiroom that only compensates for loss of signal of a long line

If you introduce an amplifier downstream you also amplify noise hence you put the mast head very close to the aerial

smokane
Dabbler

sorry my bad - I have an amplifier in the attic, not a masthead amplifier.

However, the existing aerial setup works perfectly, just not with the y'view+ box. Is installing a masthead amplifier really a "solution" to get the y'view box to work?

Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

The youview bix twin tuner suck signal if you have a distribution box you can try a masthead preamplifier like the labgear. It costs £15 at screwfix
smokane
Dabbler

When I got home, the y'view box had updated to 2.0 software.

Signal strength is now 87%.

Very strange.

I have ordered the talktalk box
Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

I would check if you still have break ups before you go for the other box

Also use ferrite cores on LAN, power, aerial and HDMI cable once all of this fail go for other box

smokane
Dabbler

The breakups are now more frequent with the new software......

Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

In some cases there is too much signal and the box blacks out you may try an attenuator
In any case I am not a fan of the BT humax box I spent so much time trying to get it right and ended up selling it on ebay
Lovol2
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hi. You said you use the dn327t youview box from talk talk.

You are the only person online to mention these two things!

Does this work with you view from plus net? And will I be able to get the extra package channels from bundles?

Any help really appreciated

Thanks
Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

I have tried all YouView HD boxes BT first generation and second generation (same as plusnet) and the talktalk dn372t
All boxes work with any provider including extra channels on the first boot the box will sync to the new proviseryand restart
The huawei dn372t was the least prone to interference the BT second generation also used by PN the worst
I have since got a deal with sky and got rid of freeview entirely actually am going to put the box on ebay soon
The additional channel work well on youview but freeview is [-Censored-] compared to satellite image quality especially for standard definition channels
Lovol2
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thanks for that interceptor.

I just tested a friends talk talk dn370t.

It didn't show the extra internet channels. But I couldn't factory reset it as my friend wanted the recordings.

So maybe that would help.

Other than that. All worked. Iplayer all 4 etc no probs.