cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouView app removal / Remote Record

Highlighted

Re: YouView app removal / Remote Record

Seems like the web team are on strike or something, the PN website is still advertising the remote record app quite prominently. Hopefully that means that everyone is working on a new app!
Highlighted
Grafter

YouView site says >>>In order to deliver the most innovative TV experience, we are refocusing development away from ‘direct to consumer’ products and toward delivering best in class TV technology services direct to our business partners BT, TalkTalk, Humax and Sony.<<<
Unlikely that PlusNet will be developing an app. However, seeing that the P.N:YouView box is actually a Humax DTRT2120, maybe the queries should be directed to Humax, who youView identify as a business partner
Highlighted
Dabbler

Surely the slimplest solution to satisfy all users is to allow the APP to post record bookings direct to the YouVue Box instead as at present BT's server. It is only the BT server that is has given up on us.

Failing that, allow the APP to post record bookings to the users owm server address (or cloud server) and perhaps the YouView box will not require any modification.

Can we get the protocol for setting record instructions?

Highlighted
Grafter

I've contacted Humax who were helpful and very quick to respond, and are also being impacted by YouView's decision

This was their response...
Hi Geoff,
Thank you for contacting Humax.
Can I confirm what the serial number is for your unit? As that model is a BT model so they would have more details regarding it.

Unfortunately Humax have no control over the app. It is Youviews platform and they create the app. There is no alternative at this time but if one comes to light then we will let you know. We can understand how this will impact your viewing experience and must apologise about this as It has impacted us here at Humax just as much as our customers. I would suggest contacting Youview themselves for further queries.
Highlighted
Grafter

I'm still trying to figure out why Youview decided to pull the app for in their words 'In order to deliver the most innovative TV experience, we are refocusing development away from ‘direct to consumer’ products and toward delivering best in class TV technology services direct to our business partners BT, TalkTalk, Humax and Sony.'

I can't figure out what developments they can actually achieve to make it incredible given their probably on a tight budget and under restrictions with BT etc.  

Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Just seen an announcement on Facebook from youview

https://support.youview.com/mobile-app/?fbclid=IwAR0Nd62DLZXj30KOjY9iZJgKJR2c-b0PBVCxlG_z4BTpas0mKJO...

It would appear they are going to open up the BT app to all from 31st March sounds like good news Peeps!!!

YouView will be phasing out support for the YouView mobile app with final support ending on the 31st March 2020. The YouView mobile app will then be removed from the App Store and Google Play.

From the end of March, BT will be opening up the remote record functionality within the BT TV app for all* YouView users. This means that users will be able to book recordings remotely to their YouView box using the BT TV app even if they do not have a BT TV subscription.

The BT TV app currently requires users to log-in with a BT TV account to use the remote record feature - from the end of March it will no longer be necessary to sign in to use this feature.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

That is very good news! Thanks for sharing.

Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 142

Yep, looks like the cat is out of the bag 😉

Don't hold me to it, but I believe the BTTV app will be updated on/around 24th March.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Highlighted
Hooked

It's possible that for YouView only, only the link between the Youview device and app is needed. Any BT service or channel will require a login.
Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@BionicJohn, that's exactly how it works.

The app will launch, and you'll be able to navigate around the various sections, however as soon as you try accessing any of the live channels/subscription content, you will be prompted with a BT login screen.

The EPG and relevant sections of the 'My TV' section, can be accessed without a login though, and it's these that allow you to pair your box/record and manage your scheduled programmes etc. Some screengrabs attached for anybody curious.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Highlighted
Hooked

Not as pretty as YouView, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks BT for letting us in.

Highlighted
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Thats good news.
I'll give that a try.
Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The app update is now live on the Android and iOS stores.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Highlighted
Hooked

Great news - but what's it called?!! 

Highlighted
Dabbler

Its just called BT TV, it doesnt need a login and does indeed pair with a Plusnet box but it only shows all BTs extra channels such as NowTV and none of Plusnet's which isnt ideal but this may change end of March!