cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouView app removal / Remote Record

Highlighted
Dabbler

Re: YouView app removal / Remote Record

Mine and hubby's apps are still showing programmes but will no longer send recordings to the box ☹️

I have PM'd @MatthewWheeler asking for an update or announcement at to what Plusnet are intending.

Highlighted

Are there any updates? This is a useful part of the YouView+ service and the website still says that there's an app available. Will a replacement be available when YouView discontinues the app?

I know we can't blame PlusNet for the decision made by some genius at YouView to discontinue a useful part of the service, but I'm sure that PlusNet would have been notified of this change before customers and should have started some kind of preperation to allow customers access to remote recording after the app is deleted - especially considering the website still states that it's part of the service. If someone registers for TV today believing that they will have access to the app then they will be very disappointed in a month when it no longer works!

At the very least, remove any mention of the app from your pages so that you don't inadvertantly mislead new customers.

Highlighted
Dabbler

Hi @drjungle 

There are no updates at all. Plusnet are being very quiet on this. It seems as though they are thinking that we will all just accept that we can no longer remote record!

Highlighted
Hooked

drjungel - welcome to the club - we're beating our heads against a brick wall - Plusnet seem to be totally disinterested and it seems that they are happy for us to leave them and transfer to BT who  are offering a Youview app replacement..........

Highlighted

OK, thought I'd call customer services.

The information I got is that plusnet have no plans to do anything about this - looks like we just lost a useful part of the service.

While most things are becoming 'smart' and more integrated with mobile apps, YouView has decided to take a backwards step and turn their service into a standard set top recorder like the one I had several years ago  - one of the main reasons for moving from that to YouView was the app!

Highlighted
Dabbler

I hate to say this, but given YouView have declared a move away from retail customers, I can't see the Plusnet TV service lasting. As mentioned elsewhere the bean counters are not interested in Plusnet, when they have the all new BTTV, even if it has regressed back to it BTVision days. Once the boxes reach what they consider to be "end of life", I strongly suspect it will be "Thanks for your custom, can we recommend BTTV?". The lack of answers or responses on here is very possibly due to this dawning on the support teams too.
Highlighted
Fixes: 1,026

That's a leap, PN is the value BT Brand it is there to compete with the likes of TalkTalk.
TT has a TV service so in order to compete and try and gain customers from them they need to offer something in the same ballbark regarding quadplay.
The lack of communitcation is frustrating and sadly it's a thing at the moment with PN, but I wouldn't 100% trust what the CSC says until there's an official annoucement from products. There could (should) be work going on in the background on this and until there's a definitive no from them there's a super tiny fraction of hope..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 142

In no way an official response, but in the absence of one - and to avoid further speculation - I'll just say we were caught somewhat unawares by this one. We've been exploring options and work is underway to remove the website references if necessary. Should we be able to arrive at an alternative, I can't promise it will be before the current app ceases to function.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Highlighted
Grafter

So there is talk of an app been made then? 

Highlighted
Hooked

Thanks for the update, Bob. I would say you are on significantly safer ground if you pull the reference - people could quite rightly be a tad disappointed to sign up seeing that. You wouldn't really want to have someone's first impressions be disappointment, would you?

P.

Highlighted
Dabbler

Hurrah, some response at last, First a mod and then an admin. 

Thanks for the input guys, at least we now know that PN are not just burying their heads in the sand but are looking at what can be done instead.

Highlighted

Another unhappy Plusnet customer here. The withdrawal of the remote record functionality is a major loss.

Been a happy customer since the Madasafish days, and have only seen the service improving over that time - this is a major retrograde step.

Hoping there is positive news soon. My contract has four months to run before I decide what to do next.

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,026

@smhartley1 wrote:

Hurrah, some response at last, First a mod and then an admin. 

Agree good to see a response that it least has been noticed by PN.

As for mods we're just customers like yourself and have no special insight or info - I was just putting a perspective on it.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Hooked

I just want to add my disappointment of the removal of the YouView app and the ability to set the recorder remotely.

It can't be beyond PlusNet's ability to tweak the existing or adapt the BT version.

Let's hope we customers aren't disappointed.

Cheers, John.

Highlighted
Grafter

Yet another disappointed youview app user here, having just discovered that it's being discontinued.

Any news on alternatives yet?