Did you mean: 

YouView app removal / Remote Record

Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 142

Re: YouView app removal / Remote Record

@fishyweb wrote:
I noticed that some PN channels don't show up in the BT app e.g. Eurosport.

Right, so we now think we know what's going on here.

Following BT's recent TV refresh, channels like Eurosport and CNN are no longer offered on some of their newer packages. When not logged into a BT account, the channels default to what is currently sold. When a user is logged in though, their subscriptions can be obtained from the back-end systems and the EPG tailored accordingly. This likely explains why I can still see the channels (I've previously been logged into a TV-enabled BT account when using the app - guessing it's cached the TV listings).

Again - no guarantees - but we're looking to see if it's possible to inherit the EPG listing from the set top box pairing instead. Even if possible, it will require an app update so won't be a quick turnaround I'm afraid.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Highlighted
Community Veteran

That sounds plausible. Thanks for looking into this. Fingers crossed that we can get an update that addresses this.
Highlighted
Grafter

@bobpullen wrote:

@geoffers wrote:
Same here: Android 8.1 & missing 373/374 NatGeo; 435/436 Eurosport 1&2 etc so presumably all the extra PlusNetTV channels are not present ☹️

You're paying for HD, right? Those channels numbers are all HD content. The equivilent SD versions are on 317/318 and 412/413 respectively.

Correct - I've purchased the HD channel add-on package

Highlighted
Dabbler

I'm still unable to connect my phone to the box. I've Ping'd, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, re-booted the box, all to no avail!

I was connected with the YouView app previously.

Anyone have any further ideas?

Highlighted
Grafter

I'm not an expert on networking, but if your Router is giving your box an IP address and your phone is also getting an IP from the same router both are on the same network so ping should work (ie there is a basic communication channel between 2 devices on the same Network). 

So my thought is there's something blocking you on the router - firewall settings maybe

Another outside thought is there are (prob) 2 wifi protocols on the router : 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz wifi which by default have the same SSID (effectively the wifi name) so your device probably connects to the strongest signal. I don't know if both devices have to be on the same SSID (probably not as they're still part of the same network) 

BTW: I've renamed my 5g wifi SSID so I know which one I'm connecting to and have the YouView connected with ethernet cable not wifi

Highlighted
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Just a thought but.... the youview box would only recognise so many mobile devices ... bot got too many? List full?
Highlighted
Hooked

>> Another outside thought is there are (prob) 2 wifi protocols on the router : 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz wifi which by default have the same SSID (effectively the wifi name) so your device probably connects to the strongest signal. I don't know if both devices have to be on the same SSID (probably not as they're still part of the same network) <<

My router has different SSIDs for 5 and 2.4GHz, plus two additional WAPs in other rooms of the house and any one of the 4 SSIDs will allow connection to the YouView box via the app.  The key node is the router to which they're all attached.

I must say that the blockage is hard to work out - maybe a firewall issue or closed port.     

Highlighted
Dabbler

@Bogbody wrote:
Just a thought but.... the youview box would only recognise so many mobile devices ... bot got too many? List full?

No, list not full, the only device connected now is hubby's phone

Highlighted
Dabbler

@geoffers wrote:

I'm not an expert on networking, but if your Router is giving your box an IP address and your phone is also getting an IP from the same router both are on the same network so ping should work (ie there is a basic communication channel between 2 devices on the same Network). 

So my thought is there's something blocking you on the router - firewall settings maybe

Another outside thought is there are (prob) 2 wifi protocols on the router : 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz wifi which by default have the same SSID (effectively the wifi name) so your device probably connects to the strongest signal. I don't know if both devices have to be on the same SSID (probably not as they're still part of the same network) 

BTW: I've renamed my 5g wifi SSID so I know which one I'm connecting to and have the YouView connected with ethernet cable not wifi

Kerrching!!! Thanks. I hadn't thought about that. I have 4 different SSID's. Just checked and hubby's and my phones connected t different ones. Swapped my phone to the same SSID as his and success. My phone is now paired with the box.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help with this. Got there in the end!!

Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Downloaded and tested seems fine but obviously there are bit's that don't apply to Plusnet users. 

Highlighted

I have downloaded the app on my iPad, don't like the look of it. How do I set recordings from it. If I select a program all I get is program info.

TIA

Keith

Highlighted
Hooked

You have linked the app to your You view device?
Highlighted

Yes Bionic John I have paired my iPad to the youview box. Have also now downloaded the app to my Samsung phone and paired that and still don't see how to set record.

Keith

Highlighted
Hooked

Go into the app, hit LiveTV, Full TV listings.

Find the programme you want to record, and you get a page which offers you the option of recording the series or just the one episode  - just select your option and away the selection goes to the box. Works for me...................

Highlighted
Dabbler

Used to work for me as you describe, but not any more?