Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouView TV...

FIXED
Gildersleeve
Grafter

YouView TV...

It kind of interests me(I'm Curious)as we are told to watch more TV(and use more streaming services)via the internet. What kind of data is this using daily/monthly and what cost is it adding financially to both the user and supplier. As even doing what I see as very little myself(Surfing, e-mails, Twitter, a blog and Facebook)online can sometimes seem to use a lot of data.

Doesn't it put a strain on the networks/servers from an ISP's point of view or the telephone system in general as in to the exchange and then to individual homes?

I don't watch much TV but still have a TV in the lounge so I'm not affected as yet. Only occasionally do I watch I-Player/You Tube.

Another service that comes to mind if you use Netflix.

As I say just wondering...

8 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Re: YouView TV...

If you stream a TV programme in HD for one hour you'll use about 1GB.

David
Gildersleeve
Grafter

Thanks that is very interesting. 

Fixes: 101

Fix
but the way YouView channels are delivered, it won't show up on your PN data usage and isn't counted.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have a PN Youview box, a Sky box I now use for Freesat and have had my telly arial upgraded to get the best Freeview. I subscribe to PN's extra sports channels because I like the Rugby Union and Champions League Football. I also subscribe to Netflix mainly for the grandkids to watch. 

I also was initially concerned about using bandwidth for trivialities when there was adequate radio and TV channels for most of the content to be available that way. But that's the way the market is going and IMHO more and more content will disappear from the airwaves and only be available online such as the BBC Three has just done. 

In the time I have been with PN I have changed from a measured usage to an unlimited contract so just like all other ISPs they are set up for selling content now rather than the Internet connection per se

Content does have a cost IIRC I'm paying £5 for my PNTV plus another £5 for the extra sports channels but that's a lot cheaper than SKY where the answer is £50 quid whatever the question lol 

My connection at 30Mbps is quiet adequate to cover the above but you see plenty on the forums complaining that the only get 50Mbps on on 80Mbps connectio I can't get my head round what they do with all that bandwidth when I find 30Mbps enough. Cool

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Gildersleeve
Grafter

Peter, My computer repairman says I should go with fibre but for now being on a limited income and worried what may happen in the future I'm happy to have access to the internet at all. If my income remains much the same and other things I do, start to cease as they may(socially)or I find getting out becomes more of an issue I could consider diverting what I spend to being on here and getting more from using a PC/web. Its all very interesting. I think I am quite informed but probably a luddite but I am getting there...slowly  Embarrassed

This month my usage is low and could be as little as 20-30GB. For some reason January and February it was higher and even then I did not even reach 100GB. And I occasionally worry but then hear what others are doing.

Thanks

mjb
Dabbler

Since getting our Youview+ box, our monthly usage has been around 120GB (from probably around 30GB before). We don't tend to watch much stuff on the Plusnet TV channels - most of our usage is catch-up TV, which does show up in usage stats.

If we were more organised, we could use the box to record stuff - but TBH it's just as easy to use the catch-up. (Being "unlimited" probably drives this behaviour!).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Gildersleeve 

You don't say what tariff your on. I would suggest you ring customer options on 0800 731 7512 and see what the options are. You may be on a legacy product and fibre could actually cheaper than your present contract. 

When did you last renew?

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Catch up is treated like normal net usage in that you access the data via PN network and it adds to your download usage.

The internet channels (IPTV) do not come across the PN network but are added to your line at the exchange or possibly cabinet level where the feeds are all fed trough to. When you pick an IPTV channel the data is picked up from cabinet and is only on your line across this shorter connection.

podman