Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouView Box Crashed Tonight

FIXED
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

YouView Box Crashed Tonight

We got our YV box on Oct 2016 & we haven't had a moments trouble until a couple of hours ago when it wouldn't switch on.

I powered it down & then back on & it went through it's wakeup routine after which I had to re-enter our PIN then all the channels were miissing.

After some difficulty getting into the settings I eventually managed to start a rescan but it remained at 0% for 15 minutes & then stuck at 98% for 15 minutes & is now stuck at 99% .but the number of channels is still showing 0.(it's not showing any hidden channels).

16 REPLIES
DS
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: YouView Box Crashed Tonight

We've had ours since 23 December but we've had some issues along the way Sad

The latest issue was last night when the skip buttons failed to respond for 60 mins or so. When they started to work the skip back would jump the full 2 hours back in one go!!

Anyway, I found that by leaving the box in the state it was in (switched on), then pressing and holding the power button (front left hand button, viewed from above) on the device itself it carried out a soft reboot and cured it. I did switch it off at the mains a short while later too to see if it would create the fault again and that problem has not returned since.

I'd try this on yours too. note that the lower light underneath will go purple, but keep holding until it goes blue, then release.

I must admit, we've never had to type our chosen pin number in, nor have we had to scan for channels as soon as we've powered it up. Are you sure it's still connected to the router?

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it's connected to the router by an ethernet cable, we had our house fully wired with data cabling at the new-build stage.

I did a software reset which didn't work so now it's doing a factory reset keeping our recordings so I'll pop back & let you know how it went although it's been on 'Nearly Ready' for over 15 minutes now which doesn't look too promising.

I'm dreading having to  phone up & go through the tedium of "have you tried this, have you tried that?"

Yes, I wouldn't be phoning if I hadn't tried everything!!

DS
Pro

That's a real shame and I really do feel for you - it's all the setting up, tuning in, setting up more, setting scheduled recordings to then not know if it will go wrong again in the future. I've had to factory reset ours a few times alreadySad

If PN could discuss a way with the manufacturer so we could download a configuration file to a PC/Laptop or mobile device, so if the box goes belly up in the future, and after factory reset, we could then install our settings back to the box, would imho be a very good idea. We can already do this with a Plusnet Hub One, so it could be possible.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

Indeed it's a pain if we lose all our recorded content from Discovery, History & Nat Geo as there isn't a catchup facility for those channels.

Still stuck on 'Nearly Ready' for almost 30 minutes now & I'm beginning to think hardware failure.

How long did your factory resets take?

There's no excuse for flakey hardware or software in this day & age.

DS
Pro

caravanj wrote: (snipped) How long did your factory resets take?

Around 15 mins. Yours isn't right and I fear it could be game over...

As there's no one to answer the phone, I'd pull the plug, leave it till the morning, power it up one last time and still if it works then. Even possibly unplugging, hold the power button to dissipate any capacitors, then power it up.

edit. That's the problem with some of today's technology, it's mass produced using inferior parts, that simply get chucked in the bin when it fails. Not like the old brick VHS recorders and CRT TV's, built to last they were and they took more than a feather to cause it to fail or crack the screen.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

Fix

Being retired I was able to stay with the reset process into the early hours.

Basically I managed to get the YV box to attempt the factory reset which it did. Once again it got to the retuning stage where it hung at 0% for several minutes & then crawled to 99% where it stopped for over 30 mins so at that point, 01:30hrs, I went to bed, leaving the YV box switched on.

Got up at 06:30hrs, switched on the TV & the YV box was showing my correct region & the factory reset continued without a hitch.

All our existing recordings are still there & the box now seems to connect to the TV first time every time.

Once again thanks for your replies & help.

DS
Pro

It's the bit where it hangs when retuning/scanning for channels that's got me.

I know it has to be connected to the router during boot mode, so my only thoughts is that it lost it's connection to the router and thus the server (it also runs on the back of the BT Vision system). Clearly you didn't lose the ability to post on here so that rules out the internet dropping.

Anyway, hopefully it's sorted itself out Smiley until next time.... Sad

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

I've just done a channel rescan & it went through as normal in about 5 minutes.

Whether the box was in the process of doing some background maintenance at the same time that I switched it on I don't know but 21:00 hrs would be an odd tme for automatic updates.

DS
Pro

I think it does check for updates when it's switched on, because I've noticed that the last checked time stamps can tally with the time the box is switched on.

It could also be the same issue that the early BT Vision boxes appeared to have - something along the lines of a cache issue. I powercycle of that box used to restore any function issues ie it could become slow to operate via the remote, but a quick switch off and on at the mains cured it in most cases.

If you look now and note when your box last checked updated apps, then switch it off just before midnight, power it back up you should find the last checked updates to the new date.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that info, I'll give it ago tonight.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

Well we've had no further issues with the YV box which is still working perfectly so it'll have to remain a mystery.

DS
Pro

Glad to hear yours has been fine since Smiley

(I've given up watching mine atm, but hey ho).

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

I hope I've not jinxed you. Shocked

Are you having similar problems?

DS
Pro

Nah, it's not you Wink

It's a certain supplier of internet, landline phones, mobile phones and TV - Have a read if you really want to?