Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YV+ remote will not turn TV on

DS
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: YV+ remote will not turn TV on

I'm wondering if the new box (therefore remote) is old stock....?

I've not looked, but IIRC someone on these forums had a replacement remote sent out and they mentioned it was a different style to their original. They may well have had an old stock box.

Having said that, there's every chance the new box is new stock and thus may have the 'new' remote.

The fact that it turns the TV off points to it working, it's just the switching on that doesn't work, but why?

The fact that the TT remote doesn't operate the box could also be due to one of them being an older style compared to a newer style - this, I guess, would make sense?

I seem to recall somewhere on the www whereby some users had issues with their remotes or boxes, I don't remember which. Take our box for example, if the front of it is in direct sunlight, the remote will not operate the box - I've proven this multiple timesHuh

I guess moving to a universal would be a better solution?

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 119

Stock is rotated fairly routinely, so I'd be surprised if we're sending boxes with older remotes. Worth noting that we haven't always sent the box we do currently, and the previous box did have a different remote. If somebody with an older model box replaced the remote, then they'd notice the difference.

@DS wrote:

I seem to recall somewhere on the www whereby some users had issues with their remotes or boxes, I don't remember which. Take our box for example, if the front of it is in direct sunlight, the remote will not operate the box - I've proven this multiple timesHuh

There are a few reports of unresponsive remotes affecting some of the Humax Youview boxes. It seems this is down to the IR shielding of the box itself i.e. if it's very close to other IR devices or sources of EMI then you often have to press buttons multiple times to get the box to respond. If you suffer from this problem, then try shielding the IR sensor with a piece of dark cloth (it's on the right-hand-side third of the front panel as you look at it), and you may find it improves the situation Crazy3

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DS
Champion

The jigsaw pieces fit now! Smiley

I wasn't a trialist of your TV offerings but I was (according to your back office TV team) one of the first 'normal' taker uppers of the TV service, so chances are I do have an older style box and remote...?

We subbed to the TV before your site was showing TV as a serviceWink

(fwiw, my serial number on our oldest box has some 0000's)

I didn't know you had two variants of the same box - yes I know one records and the other is just a player Wink

Our boxes work well (there are some gremlins) and the remote is always fine, bar direct sunlight, but it's not a daily issue.

We actually moved it to a shelf on it's own not long after using it as we found the remote could be unresponsiveWink

(good idea regarding a piece of clothSmiley)

VJ3
Dabbler

Thanks all for your continuing suggestions. Just out of interest I looked at the BT site for YV+ remotes. It clearly states that some TVs will not operate TV on button following pairing. This is clearly a known issue. Wish I'd know that a week ago! I have moved the box, disabled all other IR devices, including the TVs standby LED to no avail. Still seems strange to me that my TT remote had no problem with the same TV. Will try to re-pair again from time to time but fast losing the will to live and wondering if I should ever have made the switch.

DS
Champion

Just out of interest I looked at the BT site for YV+ remotes. It clearly states that some TVs will not operate TV on button following pairing. This is clearly a known issue.

Huh

I'd of thought that might be the case for an unknown branded TV, but yours is a fairly popular brand.

Odd for sure.

I still agree though, why does the TT one work, but your PN doesn't...?

VJ3
Dabbler

So, with a spare hour I thought I'd give it another try.....

Reset remote and rebooted YV box, and then went through the process of paring the TV. Got the TV to go into standby and then pressed TV on and after about 90 seconds it came on, bingo! Except the remote would now not operate either the TV or the YV box. Went through the whole process again, this time pressing OK after the TV came out of standby, same result.

In order to get back to where I was this morning I went through the procedure again but this time did not press TV on. I can now control the YV box and the TV, except TV on, for which I have to use the TV's own remote.

Something is clearly not right here.

DS
Champion

Huh

Reset remote and rebooted YV box, and then went through the process of paring the TV. Got the TV to go into standby and then pressed TV on and after about 90 seconds it came on, bingo!

90 secs to come on, that doesn't sound right. To my knowledge it can take a while to turn off the TV during pairing.

Except the remote would now not operate either the TV or the YV box.

Mind blown!

Went through the whole process again, this time pressing OK after the TV came out of standby, same result.

as above

In order to get back to where I was this morning I went through the procedure again but this time did not press TV on. I can now control the YV box and the TV, except TV on, for which I have to use the TV's own remote

How close is the box to the TV? I wonder if the IR's are too close to each other, though doubtful

Something is clearly not right here.

I agree. The PN box is the unbranded variety, have you tried using the TT box on the connection instead (with the TT remote). The only things you might to do is 1) see if anyone else has done this and 2) factory reset the TT box.

I know, via these forums, that some users have used their BT branded box on a PN connection/account, no idea it TT's would switch?

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 30

Hello @VJ3

We are happy to issue you out a new YouView+ remote, in case the remote is not functioning properly.

If the issues persist we would advise contacting to Smart TV manufacturing company.

Please let us know if you are happy for us to post you a new remote.

Kind regards.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Wakas Hussain
 Plusnet Help Team
VJ3
Dabbler

Thanks Dumbledore, would appreciate trying a new remote. Can contact tv manufacturer also but since my TT remote worked fine still not sure it is the tv.
VJ3
Dabbler

Thanks again DS. Box and tv are far apart. The TT box and it's remote worked with PN broadband account before the PN box arrived, but since TT box kept locking up I bought the PN box, which I would now like to use
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 30

Hello @VJ3

I have dispatched a new remote to your home address.

You can view the service notice by Clicking Here

Hopefully, this will help resolve the issue.

Best wishes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Wakas Hussain
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Champion

No problem Smiley

So, the TT box and remote work with the PN TV servers, plus the remote operates the TV, I'm now wondering if this was an older variant of box?

Let's guess to say the TT box and remote were 2 years old, is the newer PNYV box and remote too new for the TV?

But the PN remote does not operate the TV correctly and the TT remote won't operate the PN box, so there must be a difference?

I have no idea if this will help, but our oldest PN remote states the following under the battery cover:

RC3124706/06/01B
3139 238 30591
Item code - 077267
CP02 11636 I 000525

Do either of your remotes show the same detail?

edit. Typo and I totally understand your reasons for wanting to use the PN box and remote Smiley

VJ3
Dabbler

Hi DS, for info we had the TT box remote for over 5 years and the tv less than 2 year. Neither remote has the codes you showed. The PN is close:
RC3124706/03B
3139 238 30593
CP02 21833 001188
DS
Champion

I've broke it down to a me you list:

M: RC3124706/06/01B
Y: RC3124706/03B
M: 3139 238 30591
Y: 3139 238 30593
M: 077267
Y: 077267
M: CP02 11636 I 000525
Y: CP02 21833    001188

I'd have to guess to say the item code (077267) would be the most important, but that still doesn't explain why it won't work.

My daughter uses her YV box in her room and will see if that remote differs too. If it's similar I'll reply. None of our TV's are JVC however. 

I'm keen to see if their other remote will operate the TV (and if that too has similar numbers - if you decide to post them up, there's no obligationSmiley)

VJ3
Dabbler

The new remote arrived, than you and have tried several times to pair it to the tv, but with no success. The first remote pairs except tv on with code 2788, the new one will only pair, again with no tv on, with code 2811. Go figure! For info new remote has same serial numbers as the first one. Resigned to using tv remote to turn on, yv remote for all else.