cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YV+ remote will not turn TV on

VJ3
Dabbler

YV+ remote will not turn TV on

Hi, just got new YV+ box and trying to set up remote to work with JVC smart TV. Used code 2811 instead of 2788 after seeing JVC TV is really a Vestel and after several attempts remote now controls all functions except turning TV on. Have reset remote and set it up again and again with no luck. Any suggestions?

30 REPLIES 30
DS
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: YV+ remote will not turn TV on

Welcome to the forums @VJ3 Smiley

During the remote set up, do you press and hold the TV standby button until the TV turns off (then let the button go as soon as the TV goes into standby)

Then press and hold until the TV powers up again

(then IIRC press the OK button)

Some TV's can take a few minutes to go into standby, so you might not be waiting long enough....?

If you've done it that way, by waiting until it goes off and then on again, then I'm not sure why it isn't working Sad

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 684

Hi there.

I'm sorry that you're having issues with pairing your YouView remote control to your TV.

Can you try the steps Here letting us know how it goes?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
VJ3
Dabbler

Hi, have been trying that for a week, no success.

VJ3
Dabbler

Hi, tried again several times this morning, still no success. In fact, when the TV does turn back on no settings have been retained at all. The best I can get is all functions except TV on. Any more ideas?

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 80

Hi @VJ3,

Thank you for getting back in touch, I'm sorry to hear that this issue is still ongoing.

Just to clarify, are you experiencing any problems with using the Youview remote with the Youview box or is it solely the TV that's affected? If it's affecting the Youview box, we'll need to investigate this further from here. If it's only affecting the TV, I'd recommend that you contact the manufacturer as they should be able to offer further assistance from their side.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Champion

I'm not sure how to proceed then Sad

If the remote turns off the TV, I don't know why it won't switch the TV back on (apart from the obvious use of the same TV standby button).

I'll do some head scratching but doubt I'll come up with anything of use Sad

VJ3
Dabbler

Hi Emily, it is only the TV that is affected the remote operates the YV box ok. When we bought the TV last year I got my old TalkTalk YV box remote set up with the TV in a couple of minutes so don't think it's the tv.

Fixes: 592

Does your old remote work with the PN YouView box?
That might be a solution
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DS
Champion

@VJ3 wrote: snipped

When we bought the TV last year I got my old TalkTalk YV box remote set up with the TV in a couple of minutes so don't think it's the tv.

Ah, so I think I now know what it is.

I did do some research on this and there was at least one report whereby the YV remote wouldn't operate the (fairly new) TV correctly. It was presumed that the YV remote contained older tech inside and could not communicate with that TV.

(the above was on the official YV site)

I also recall a Plusnet forum user whom had a faulty remote. Plusnet sent another and it was more modern in it's design - maybe there's updated remotes available....?

Or as per dvorak - use the TT one Wink

(I can't see why it wouldn't work)

VJ3
Dabbler

Thanks Dvorak, remote operates the TV with no problem, unfortunately it will not operate the YV box. Nice try though.

VJ3
Dabbler

Thanks again DS, if it is a faulty/older remote how do I make sure I get an updated one?

DS
Champion

Now that's a good question.

You'd need a member of forum staff to read, think about it, verify the loose remotes they have access to are indeed newer variants, then hopefully they'd pop one in the post (with a returns bag either for the old remote or the new one of it still didn't work)

I must admit, I didn't know the remotes were locked down to each suppliers boxes (though a BT remote should be the same bar the BT logo and BT button)

edit. loos should have been loose - I'm not implying these remotes are like a toilet Wink

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 51

Hi @VJ3

I've asked the question to our Products team to ascertain whether there's a more recent remote that will resolve this issue.

Best wishes

Dave

Dave G
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 119

@DS wrote:

You'd need a member of forum staff to read, think about it, verify the loose remotes they have access to are indeed newer variants...

@VJ3, you've only recently been shipped your set top box, right? Assuming that's the case, then the remote you have will be as current as the loose stock we have access to.

Feel free to post a pic of it though and we can confirm for sure.

I must admit, I didn't know the remotes were locked down to each suppliers boxes (though a BT remote should be the same bar the BT logo and BT button)

Neither did I, and it seems odd for that to be the case Huh

If the OP is confident that they fiddled sufficiently and cannot pair the standby function, then it might be worth looking at universal remote options e.g. Harmony/One For All.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵