cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YV+ recording and rewinding Now TV Content?

Beckett72

YV+ recording and rewinding Now TV Content?

Hi, as a long term Sky + HD customer, I'm now sorely temppted toswitch to the PN YV+ service, especially with the good list of subscription internet channels and the Sky & Now TV options for Entertainment and Cinema content.

Can anyone advise if it's possible to;

1) record subscription, Sky & Now TV content onto the YV+ box?

2) series link record the above?

3) scroll back the subscription content?

Thanks for your insights!

Beckett72

8 REPLIES
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: YV+ recording and rewinding Now TV Content?

We've just installed our PN YouView+ box today & although we've not tried all the channels we've tested Nat Geo, History, Discovery & SyFy & can record those.

We don't use Now so we can't help you with that.

Beckett72

Thanks for the feedback - great to hear that the subscription channels can  be recorded through the standard interface, that's quite a big thing for my wife.

The argument is definitely stacking up against Sky + HD!

If we can record the Now TV programs as well, I'm convinced. If there were plans to include Amazon Prime TV support that's a slam dunk.

jafreer
Rising Star

I have YouView+ but don't subscribe to the SKY or NOWTV content. Having said that, I am pretty sure you can't record the Sky or NOWTV content onto the YV box. If the NOWTV content is on demand, then would you even need to record it onto the box?

As already stated, you can record the Plusnet subscription channels onto the YV box, and series link them etc.

I recently ditched Sky in favour of the YV+ box, and I have to say that I haven't missed Sky once. The box works well and the menu navigation is smooth. I do have a Netflix subscription to supplement the viewing and I have the most basic Plusnet TV package (5 per month). I suppose it all depends on what you watch on Sky. I found that I mostly watched programmes that were on Freeview, with most of the Sky subscription ones I like being included in the Plusnet subscription. So it all depends on viewing habits.

jafreer
Rising Star

Meant to add. If you want Amazon video, a pretty cheap way to do it is to use a Fire TV stick. Yes it is another device on top of the YV+ box, but it is a reasonable way to add the Amazon video functionality (along with other stuff).

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Most smart TVs have Amazon Prime, our main set does but I bought a Firestick for the ordinary TV in one of the bedrooms.

The Plusnet YouView+ box is really good & very functional.

alegeek
Grafter

1) You can record the channels provided Plusnet, NOWTV on You view is simply on demand movies, there is no real live Channels. If you want NowTV live channels you'll need to also get one of their boxes which are cheap enough. They don't have record functions, but the main shows from the channels covered by now tv are available on demand. You can pause and rewind shows too.

2) you view has series link.

3) upto 7 days.

I hope that helps Smiley
jafreer
Rising Star

I had another look and here are the answers to your specific questions.

1) record subscription, Sky & Now TV content onto the YV+ box?

Subscription yes. Sky and Now TV no. Since Sky and Now TV are on demand services, I don't think there would be any advantage to being able to record them onto the YV box.

2) series link record the above?

Only the subscription content.

3) scroll back the subscription content?

If you mean can you rewind live TV on these channels, then yes, the same as others in as much as you can only rewind for as long as you have had that channel on. In other words, you can't just change to that channel and start rewinding. However if that channel has been on for a while (i.e. YV box tuned to it), then you can rewind it for as long as it has been tuned (up to 2 hours maximum I think but haven't checked).

If you mean can you scroll back the guide to watch subscription content that was an previously (e.g. yesterday), then the answer is no. The way the EPG scroll back works on YV is that if any of the previous content is available on any of the iplayers (BBC, 5, 4, etc), then you can choose to watch that content and it brings it in from the relevant on demand player. Since the Plusnet subscription channels don't have an associated iplayer, then you can't scroll back through the EPG to watch something in the past.

Just one other quirk worth mentioning. When you record Freeview content on YV, you can fast forward and rewind during playback. There are 2 ways to do this. One way is like Sky where it starts off at X2 forward or reverse, and each press of the button increases it (x2, x4, x8, etc). The other way, using 2 of the other forward and rewind buttons, skips forward by 1 minute at a time (each button press), and backwards by 10 seconds at a time (each button press). This is particularly useful for skipping adverts. You usually overshoot the adverts (because you are going forward a minute at a time), but then just step back (10 seconds at a time), a few times to get the start of the programme again. I actually find this a better feature than Sky had as I can navigate past adverts more quickly than I could on Sky.

One important point - on any Plusnet subscription channel content you have recorded, only the forward 1 minute and back 10 seconds method is available. You can't do the x2, x4, etc method. Apparently it is something to do with the way the subscription channels are encoded, but I don't know the technicals of it.

You can, of course, jump to any particular time mark in a recorded programme. So you can jump to the 20 minute mark (or anywhere else) directly if required.

If you have any more specific questions about Youview before taking the plunge, let me know and I'll try and answer.

Beckett72

Thanks, Jafreer. Really comprehensive and informative responses. I think I'm convinced and am now lookimg forard to ditching Sky and saving quite a lot of beer tokens.