Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YV Box + DVD recorder to TV connnection

Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

YV Box + DVD recorder to TV connnection

Due to my husbands ill health I would like to move a Humax DVD recorder from it's current location to the room we now use as it has many recordings on it he would like to view again. 

Can anyone help me please with what order & how to connect the YV box and DVD recorder to the TV please? 

4 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 13

Re: YV Box + DVD recorder to TV connnection

Hi @Mayfly, here's how to set up the Youview, I'm not sure about the DVD recorder but I'm sure on of the other forum users will jump on this post and offer some assistance.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 6

Sort of depends on the DVD player, the TV and the  version of the YouView box you have, and how its connected to the TV now. 

Assuming the YouView box is currently connected to the TV with an HDMI cable (little black plug).

If the DVDplayer has an HDMI  connected to the TV in the other room (oldTV), and the TV you want to connect to (NewTV) has more than one HDMI input on the back, then simply plug the DVD player into a spare HDMI port on the TV. The TV will let you choose the source of the signal ( or automatically switch depending on whether you turn on the YouView box or the DVD player. 

If the DVD player is connected to the oldTV with a Scart cable, then you probably want to connect the SCART socket (the big black one with lots of pins) on the back of the DVD player to the SCART socket on the back of the newTV.

If the newTV has only one HDMI input, then you can get an HDMI switch that will let you switch between the two devices (£6-15 depending on ports and features)

Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

@wisty Thank you that is helpful, could you also tell me how to wire the aerial do I need a splitter? or can does it go first through one box to next, then the TV?

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 6

If the Humax has a pass through capability (two aerial plugs - I would expect it to) then you should be able to plug the aerial into the Humax, loop it to the Youview box and then loop from there to the TV. Although (I suspect) you will need to keep both the Humax and the YouView box in standby to ensure the aerial signal gets passed through to the TV. 

Although why bother connecting the aerial to the Humax box. You will only need an aerial connection if you want to record from air onto the Humax box, and you have the YouView box for that. If all you want the Humax to do is act as a playback for stored recordings then it shouldn't need an aerial, and its one less connection to worry about.

If you do want to connect the aerial to the Humax box, I would probably recommend putting the Youview box first in the chain, then the Humax and then the TV. That ensures that the YouView box gets the best signal.

You can use a splitter if it simplifies things, but it will reduce the signal available. If you have a nice strong signal, then it will work fine. If however you are in a poor reception area, then a splitter may reduce the signal too much and cause the TV to break up.