cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the need for 15mb internet speed for Youview?

stuartcutting
Hooked

Why the need for 15mb internet speed for Youview?

I have just gotten off the phone with Plusnet having been told that I can't have a TV package on our fibre subscription due to our minimum estimated speed only being 12mb. This is extremely frustrating as I have just cancelled Sky and I can't remember our speed going lower than 17mb recently and it is usually around 20mb.

Is this limit just Plusnet playing it safe? I am really not sure what to do now as after checking my speed a several points during the day I thought I would be fine to get Youview and I really doing want to go back to getting ripped off by sky. It is a real shame they go by the estimated speed and not the actual speed.

8 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

Re: Why the need for 15mb internet speed for Youview?

The 15Mbps is to ensure multicast works correctly which the service uses.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
stuartcutting
Hooked

It is just extremely annoying that I get well above this speed everyday but your system says otherwise and won't let me have the TV package.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I appreciate that and I understand it's frustrating. However if we were to sell you the service on that understanding and then your broadband dropped below 15Mbps (But still within your estimates) the TV service may no longer work correctly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
stuartcutting
Hooked

Would upgrading to the fibre extra package make a difference to the speed I get?

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Unfortunately not if the estimates are already that low.

The lower fibre package would allow download speeds of up to 40Mbps. Even if you could change to the higher up to 80Mbps package, it unfortunately wouldn't increase the speed estimates for your line Undecided

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
stuartcutting
Hooked

Ah okay I just wondered if it was being held back like the upload speed as I know that was cut down to 2mb just before I joined.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Unfortunately not, it just goes off of the download speed estimates.

Apologies for any inconvenience that causes you.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
stuartcutting
Hooked

Okay thanks for the help. I guess I will have to try and find an alternative tv box then. Sad