cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need a 'Compatible Aerial'

TheCrimsonKing

Why do I need a 'Compatible Aerial'

I thought that this was an internet based TV package.  So why would I need an aerial?
14 REPLIES
launton
Grafter

Re: Why do I need a 'Compatible Aerial'

Because it's a freeview box with IP additions for catchup tv and on demand
TheCrimsonKing

So, what channels are available purely over the internet, because if I have to have an aerial installed, I won't bother with the expense of doing so in addition to the subscription. 
thegame2k0
Grafter

You don't need a ariel connected if you only want to watch the internet channels and catch up, netflix(sub required), nowtv(sky movies on demand only nowtv sub required) tv services, catch up tv are bbc iplayer, itv player (will ask for your postcode on first use), all4, demand5, milkshake(kids), ukplay, bbcsport app, bbc news app.
Internet channels are fox, syfy, universal, animal planet, discovery, discover id, history, ci, mtv, comedy central, sony entertainment channel, bt sport1, eurosport1,eurosport2. Kids pack £3p/m extra disney,disnetxd,disney jnr, nickleodeon, nick jnr, nick toons, boomerang, cartoon network, bt sport pack £5p/m extra btsport2, btsport europe, bt sport espn, hd is £3p/m extra.
I might of missed a couple of channels though.
TheCrimsonKing

Thanks for info.  Looks like I can get most stuff via internet alone then.
thegame2k0
Grafter

Yeah i asked on here awhile ago about needing a ariel a few pointed out they never had a ariel connected to their box and the epg and internet channels worked fine, i tried it myself and it all worked perfectly without a ariel.
PeeGee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Perhaps it would be useful if the list of channels sticky was amended to provide this information; possibly along the lines of :
Section 1: services via the aerial connection
Freeview Channels (some transmitters do not provide all the channels)
Section 2: Services via the internet connection
Entertainment package (included with basic subscription)
HD Package (additional subscription)
Kid's Package (additional subscription)
BT Sport (additional subscription)
On Demand players (free of subscription)
Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link TD-W9980 modem-router.
auto98
Grafter

Just to confirm, one of the questions you will be asked by Sales is "do you have an aerial" - it is a prerequisite of taking our service, as not having an aerial means that you do not get all the on-demand players (some of them use the aerial for localisation, to decide which regions version of the player you get).
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I too don't have an aerial, since moving into the new build house we have always had Sky TV.
Plusnet TV does seem very good but no Sky channels is just a cut back and quite compromising.
NE  Smiley
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
PeeGee
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: J
Just to confirm, one of the questions you will be asked by Sales is "do you have an aerial" - it is a prerequisite of taking our service, as not having an aerial means that you do not get all the on-demand players (some of them use the aerial for localisation, to decide which regions version of the player you get).

Interesting, so:
a) why does it allow you to bypass a channel scan in the setup?
b) why does the setup ask for the postcode?
I assumed it used the same procedure as Freesat - the postcode defines the "preferred" regional channels (so you can actually get whatever region you wish Roll eyes ).
Phil
Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link TD-W9980 modem-router.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: NorthEasterner
I too don't have an aerial, since moving into the new build house we have always had Sky TV.
Plusnet TV does seem very good but no Sky channels is just a cut back and quite compromising.
NE  Smiley

I see plenty of posts on these fora from youngsters saying that they don't have a TV aerial, or they don't use the landline and why should they pay for a service they don't use and such. Well I'm from the generation which developed all this stuff and have lived through the development. I'm fully wired, I use the landline because it's there and I have plenty of friends and relations who contact us by that means. Also I paid to have my TV Arial upgraded so I have Freeview in all rooms, and fully functioning Youview and Freesat from Sky in the living room. I can chop and change between all the offerings. The purchase of hardware such as a phone set or television aerial is a one off cost and has saved me pots of money through freedome of choice
/rant over  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
auto98
Grafter

Quote from: PeeGee

Interesting, so:
a) why does it allow you to bypass a channel scan in the setup?
b) why does the setup ask for the postcode?
I assumed it used the same procedure as Freesat - the postcode defines the "preferred" regional channels (so you can actually get whatever region you wish Roll eyes ).
Phil

a)  This doesn't really apply here -  the on demand only uses the aerial for localisation, so you don't need to scan for the rest of the channels for the localisation to take effect.  This is my experience having tested on several boxes, although there is no documentation to confirm this absolutely.
b) The postcode isn't used for localisation of channels, hence you are able to skip putting it in (if you haven't set your box up recently you won't know you can skip it, as it was originally mandatory).
disgraceUK

I rang PN last night and enquired about the need for an aerial, as I only ever watch catch up TV and my kids will watch the kids pack, and he told me I do need an aerial to watch any TV.
But after reading this thread it seems I don't and can go ahead and order PN TV?
Hope so as this will save me £60 to have an aerial installed.
Need this sorting before April as that's when my Sky will cancel and can save £20.75 a month.
alegeek
Grafter

Having used Youview since it was released on various different platforms (talktalk & BT mainly), I can confirm it works just fine without an aerial and the on demand players worked just fine without an aerial too so either I've been lucky or someone has been told incorrect information Smiley
Just tell Plusnet you have one Smiley
disgraceUK

I did say I had one earlier and ordered Smiley
Waived the activation fee too so that's a bonus