cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What have I done (succumbing to PlusnetTV inducements)?

PeeGee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

What have I done (succumbing to PlusnetTV inducements)?

Thought I would ring and find out what I could wring out of Plusnet Wink
Spoke to a very pleasant KK and, with a little persuasion, she made an offer I couldn't refuse, as the saying goes Shocked A re-contract that is effectively extending my current contract to 18 by 5 months from next billing date under the same terms (I had 13.5 from 24 months left) and G4 activation waived Cheesy
I was so pleased, I used the activation fee I saved to get an up-to-date modem/router (ASUS DSL-N66U instead of the TP-Link WD9980 I was thinking of getting to replace my ECI/TP-Link WR1043NDv1 pair) Roll eyes  At the price Amazon are charging, it was a steal Grin
The only thing she didn't ask is if I have a compatible aerial (which saved me saying yes, though it needs a new cable to get it working Crazy )
Phil
Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link TD-W9980 modem-router.
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 31

Re: What have I done (succumbing to PlusnetTV inducements)?

Great and thanks for the feedback PeeGee
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

is the ASUS DSL-N66U a good router then?
PeeGee
Aspiring Pro

It appears not. I (fortunately) revisited/rechecked various forum posts etc. and:
1. despite various posts claiming to have set it up for multicast I found one that states ASUS support say it will not have it Cry
2. I also noticed that the vast majority of Amazon reviews attached to the DSL-N66U page (it is a select from type page) related to the DSL-AC68U Shocked
I think the TPL W9980 is now favourite (and IGMP is listed in the spec)!
Phil
Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
PeeGee
Aspiring Pro

Just a quick follow-up. The Youview G4 arrived yesterday and the 2704n that was automatically added (I declined one when changing to fibre) arrived today - very fast service, thanks KK.
Because it was easier and keeps both my network settings and my 11n300 wireless I changed my old router WAN from PPPoE to Dynamic IP and slotted the 2704n between that and the modem, let it "do its thing", turned the wireless off and connected the youview box. No Freeview channels Shocked (the aerial cable replacement is scheduled for tomorrow), but all the internet ones working fine.
A great start as far as I'm concerned - well done Plusnet Wink
One thing that surprised me was that the streaming appeared to continue until the end of the programme, even though the G4 was powered off (disconnected from the mains) Huh
Phil